Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PROZAKY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2002
Brea, CA
From what I recall, someone announced or rumored the release of Pioneer's DVR-a05 4X DVD writer.
Is it coming out this month?
Will it be featured as a replacement of the current Superdrive at MWSF?

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
It's already out, and if not then Pioneer is hyping it like the drive is out.

Most likely.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
I didn't realize it would have DVD RW. That's awesome.

PIONEER INTERNAL ATAPI DVD-RECORDABLE MODEL DVR-A05SPK3 (DVRA05)- RETAIL
Specifications:
Inferface: (ATA/ATAPI-5, MMC3, SFFC INF8090 Ver. 5)
Buffer: 2MB Write, 512KB Read Buffer
Access Time (Random Average) DVD: 200 Msec, CD: 180 Msec
Write Support :
DVD-R: 4X (Requires 4X DVD-R Media), 2X, 1X
DVD-RW: 2X(Requires 2X DVD-RW Media), 1X
CD-R: 16X, 12X, 8X, 4X
CD-RW: 8X, 4X
Read Support:
DVD-ROM (Single): Max 12X CAV
DVD-ROM (Dual): Max 8X CAV
DVD-R, DVD-RW: Max 6X CAV
CD-ROM: Max 32X CAV
CD-R, CD-RW: Max 32X CAV
CD-DA: Max 32X CAV
Video-CD: 4X CLV

PROZAKY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2002
Brea, CA
MDD compatibility

Originally posted by meta-ghost
Mine arrived today and is going in a G4 450.:) :D
Bought through NewEgg.com.
From looking at the front of the drive in their pic, do you think it will fit in a MDD PowerMac?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by pgwalsh
I didn't realize it would have DVD RW. That's awesome.

All superdrive's that Apple has shipped has supported DVD-RW. Apple doesn't list it in their specs... but it works.

arn

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by arn

All superdrive's that Apple has shipped has supported DVD-RW. Apple doesn't list it in their specs... but it works.

arn
They should put it in their specs because it's a good selling point for backups etc. Probably because they don't sell the disks for DVD-RW.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by MacCoaster

I don't think Apple officially supports DVD-RW. I know there are ways to get around it, but IIRC, they don't officially support DVD-RW.

Right... but there isn't much "getting around it". Just stick a DVD-RW in and it works just like a DVD-R. Go to Disk Utility to erase it.

arn

theranch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Atlantic City area
interesting

I'm looking into purchasing a new dp 867 machine and want to add a superdrive on my own so this DVR-A05SPK3 drive sounds like the solution... as long as it works with iDVD or DVD studiopro. The price on the newegg.com site isn't much more than the 2x drive found here: http://www.supermediastore.com/piondvdvdbur1.html
If any of you know of any problems with what I want to do, please drop me a line.
Thanks!

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2002
San Francisco
Re: interesting

Originally posted by theranch
I'm looking into purchasing a new dp 867 machine and want to add a superdrive on my own so this DVR-A05SPK3 drive sounds like the solution... as long as it works with iDVD or DVD studiopro. The price on the newegg.com site isn't much more than the 2x drive found here: http://www.supermediastore.com/piondvdvdbur1.html
If any of you know of any problems with what I want to do, please drop me a line.
Thanks!

I'll be installing it over Thanksgiving and will post a reply to this thread (maybe a review on xlr8yourmac as well).

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
my understanding is that mac users can buy the pioneer dvr-105 instead of the dvr-a05. apparently the 105 is the OEM version and the A05 comes with software for pcs only. you pay more for the A05 and you get pc software

is this true? anyone know more about the features and benefits of theses?

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by MacCoaster

I don't think Apple officially supports DVD-RW. I know there are ways to get around it, but IIRC, they don't officially support DVD-RW.

Correct. They havent figured it out yet. Besides later on they can say: OSX 10.3 ***** Cat

Now gives all macs with superdrives after <date> DVD-RW capabilities.

Now is that clever marketing or what.

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
Anyone think that it is going to be all superdrives in all desktop models at this coming MW? It would be a very Apple thing to do.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by pretentious
Anyone think that it is going to be all superdrives in all desktop models at this coming MW? It would be a very Apple thing to do.
I think it makes sense, but they need to differenciate the models and make the price differece worth the money. The processor speed, HD, and Ram are the only real difference between the middle and highend model. If you added that feature to the low end (which I think they should), I think some consumers would get a lesser model.

Yes there is the difference of 1mb of level three cache. I find that irritating.

PROZAKY

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2002
Brea, CA
DV EXPO

Is Pioneer gonna be at the DV Expo West in LA?
Good opportunity to propose exibit the superdrive in the powermac, or maybe at MWSF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.