Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
For some reason every time i try and burn a cd recently, i keep getting this error...

The Drive Reported an Error.
Sense Key = MEDIUM ERROR
Sense Code = 0x73, 0x03

Can anyone tell me if my drive is junk, or not? I have updated Toast, and even tried burning through iTunes but get the same error.

think i should just get a new DVR-109 from newegg, DVR-109 $56.99, not bad considering i paid $130 for the DVR-107D a year ago.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 186

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Are you using cheap DVDs? Medium error is just that -- an error with the DVD medium being written to. My 107 was really picky about a bad batch of, uh, Infiniti/CMC dyed discs.

Generally you should find a brand you like, which works well, and stick with it - there's quite a lot of luck involved in finding compatible, cheap media.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I usually use Maxell DVDs, and CDs, but have recently been using Memorex DVD-Rs, and Verbatim CD-Rs.

i haven't had many problems with the DVD-Rs, or the cds for that matter. I've gone almost through all the DVD-Rs, and about half way through the CD-R 50 pack.

Question though: isn't medium the drive, and media the DVDs, or CDs?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Sweetfeld28 said:
Question though: isn't medium the drive, and media the DVDs, or CDs?
You know, it is somewhat contradictory. I've always assumed 'medium error' to be an error with the medium, in the sense that to which data is to be written, as per:
dictionary.com said:
5. pl. media Computer Science. An object or device, such as a disk, on which data is stored.
But, then we have:
dicitonary.com said:
3. An agency by which something is accomplished, conveyed, or transferred: The train was the usual medium of transportation in those days.
So yeah. I'm still going for #5, since an error with the burner would likely be 'Write error' - and the object would be in the singular since you're only writing one at a time, hence not 'media'. But :eek: :rolleyes:...

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
ok, thanks for the replies.

I think now it is starting to make more sense. i think i will have to maybe try another brand of blanks tomorrow night, and see if they work, if they don't i will be getting that DVR-109, and will stick the 107D in my Dell tower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.