Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Just wanted to post my quick thoughts as I have purchased these two recently. If you're like me, you own a Magic Keyboard but still want some protection on the iPad Pro (2021 12.9" in my case) when you take it off the keyboard.

I first purchased the CoverBuddy because I heard more things about it in these forums and the MagEz wasn't available at the time for the 5th gen 12.9". When the CoverBuddy came in, I was initially disappointed as to how flimsy it felt. I thought I would like it better than the MagEz because it had the Pencil holder up top, but that bump for the Pencil made access to the volume control really difficult to get to. More often than not, I kept on missing the volume buttons. The back also scratched easily as it's just a simple piece of plastic. It did make orientating and opening the MK easier since I was able to recognize where the top was, so that was a plus - but to be honest, the only plus I really had. I also didn't like the small USB-C opening. I had to really force some of my chargers into the small spot if and it often disconnected if I wasn't watching it carefully. I then had to relegate charging to the MK port instead of the iPad's.

Not happy with the result, I ordered the MagEz. When it finally came in, I immediately liked it more. Sure, it didn't have the Pencil holder up top, but the access to the volume and sleep buttons was much better. The cutout for the USB-C port is also larger, so I can use all my cables to charge there. The material feels more substantial too even though it feels the same thickness as the CoverBuddy. The material in the back also just feels much nicer overall, and the cutouts for the speakers, mic holes, and camera are also much tighter. I also like that there are more places where the MagEz attaches to the iPad to secure itself, so it leaves me with a better feeling that this won't just fall off (not that I had that feeling necessarily with the CoverBuddy).

As you can tell, I put the CoverBuddy back in the box and will use that as a spare backup if the MagEz breaks (in which I'll order another MagEz replacement). Even though the MagEz costs a bit more, it was worth it for me. I also liked that they had options for a stand, folio, and card clip even though I didn't purchase them. It just seems to me that they are more invested in the product than SwitchEasy.

Hope that helps. I'll be happy to answer any questions if you have. Take care all~

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I apologize in advance. My iPhone's camera has crapped out recently, so many of the pics will be blurry...

This first image is the fitment of the CoverBuddy (CB). As you can see, the cutouts for the speakers are too long, the mic holes are at the edge and not centered, and the power button is off as well:
IMG_2899.jpg

Here is the MagEZ (ME). Look at how the cutout for the speakers are perfect and the mic holes are properly centered:
IMG_2895.jpg

Here is the camera cutout for the CB. It's off-centered as well:
IMG_2901.jpg

Here is the camera cutout for the ME. Notice how it fits perfectly. Also, the feel of this material is nice and grippy whereas the CB is plasticky and slippery:
IMG_2898.jpg

Sorry for this picture. It's very blurry. But you see that slope where it rises up to house the Pencil? Directly behind that are the volume buttons. You have to place your finger over that slope and try to blindly find the volume buttons. The volume buttons are also exposed, so there is no dedicated covering to separate the up from down buttons:
IMG_2900.jpg

Look at the ME. See how the volume buttons have that covering? I can find the buttons easier AND they provide a nice click sound:
IMG_2903.jpg

I forgot to include a pic of the USB-C cutout for the CB, but it's very small AND offset a bit. But in the ME, it gives you a large opening which allows any USB-C cable to fit:
IMG_2896.jpg

The ME also has these grips at the bottom of the iPad and at the top while the CB does not. I only included pics of the bottom of the ME for reference:
IMG_2897.jpg

Hope that better illustrates what I was trying to convey earlier!

Reactions: K1ri

milhaus

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
I wish I read this review before I purchased the coverbuddy. What a piece of junk. Doesn’t even snap tight on the iPad, and the holes just don’t line up. I can’t believe that they tried to pass this off as acceptable. It’s going back and I guess I’ll just have to pay significantly more for the Pitika. Are people just using skins as a cheaper alternative?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.