Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The Pixel 4A has caught my attention. It checks off all the "essential" check boxes (nice camera, esp. for its price point; 128 GB storage; good battery life). The only concerns I have aren't deal breakers... less powerful processor (if this turns out to be a genuine issue, I guess I'll consider swapping for a new phone), no wireless charging (it looks really convenient to just plop your phone on a pad, as opposed to having to use 2 hands to plug in a cable), and video recording isn't that great. However, I should probably get a better overview of what else compares.

What are some Android phones that would be considered similar to the Google Pixel 4A in terms of value? If "phone X" is say, an extra $100, but has extra/improved features to make up for it, then I'm game. I would rather avoid going too high is all (say, over $550).

BACKGROUND: I was recommended the LG G4 as an upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy s4. Turned out to be an awesome phone. I ended up getting a 2nd LG G4 since for the 1st one, the rear camera ended up becoming blurry. 2nd one also ended up having the same issue. I tried other camera apps, but really do believe it's a hardware issue. I could get a DIY replacement camera kit, but at this point, I think I may as well just get a new phone.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The Pixel 4A has caught my attention. It checks off all the "essential" check boxes (nice camera, esp. for its price point; 128 GB storage; good battery life). The only concerns I have aren't deal breakers... less powerful processor (if this turns out to be a genuine issue, I guess I'll consider swapping for a new phone), no wireless charging (it looks really convenient to just plop your phone on a pad, as opposed to having to use 2 hands to plug in a cable), and video recording isn't that great. However, I should probably get a better overview of what else compares.

What are some Android phones that would be considered similar to the Google Pixel 4A in terms of value? If "phone X" is say, an extra $100, but has extra/improved features to make up for it, then I'm game. I would rather avoid going too high is all (say, over $550).

BACKGROUND: I was recommended the LG G4 as an upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy s4. Turned out to be an awesome phone. I ended up getting a 2nd LG G4 since for the 1st one, the rear camera ended up becoming blurry. 2nd one also ended up having the same issue. I tried other camera apps, but really do believe it's a hardware issue. I could get a DIY replacement camera kit, but at this point, I think I may as well just get a new phone.
Closest in terms of price point probably is the Samsung Galaxy A51 LTE (not the 5G version).

Reactions: ackmondual

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
But of that list, how many of those are 6.5" +?
I'd consider the TCL 10 pro but I really don't want a huge phone and why I'm more drawn to the Pixel 4a over the
SS A71 and others..
Screen size wasn't part of your initial post, was I supposed to read your mind that it was a consideration?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Im not the OP in this thread and don't have an initial post.
Then my point is even more valid. I simply provided a link to a comparison of phones in that category. Everyone can make their own decision if the devices compared are of value to them...

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Follow up: Thanks for the suggestions!
I ended up getting the Pixel 4A.

Overall, it's a very nice phone (esp. given its price).

My main grip against it is the screen is relatively narrow. I figured at 5.8" vs. my LG G4's 5.5" screen, it'd be bigger for sure, but removing the bezels made the screen narrower while still keeping that claim true. It makes doing certain things in landscape mode either unusable, or piss poor (e.g. the notepad app, playing certain games, or many situations where the keyboard is revealed). With the gesture based system of navigation, having to swipe from the bottom in landscape mode for certain games ends up invoking the home button (which makes for an awful experience)

Other "now you know" gripes is if I knew the 4A 5G had improved specs over the 4A (not just the sole addition of 5G), I would've considered that, even if it'd set me back an additional $150. Another is if I knew there would be a blue color, I'd gone for that instead. Black is annoying to find if it falls into dark areas (e.g. under your car seat, outside at night, or poorly lit areas indoors). However, Google's trade-in program doesn't include the 4A itself. Only Pixel 4 or earlier. It hasn't been enough of a deal breaker for me to look into selling my current phone to recoup costs, nor eating the cost and spending another $350 or $500.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Follow up: Thanks for the suggestions!
I ended up getting the Pixel 4A.

Overall, it's a very nice phone (esp. given its price).

My main grip against it is the screen is relatively narrow. I figured at 5.8" vs. my LG G4's 5.5" screen, it'd be bigger for sure, but removing the bezels made the screen narrower while still keeping that claim true. It makes doing certain things in landscape mode either unusable, or piss poor (e.g. the notepad app, playing certain games, or many situations where the keyboard is revealed). With the gesture based system of navigation, having to swipe from the bottom in landscape mode for certain games ends up invoking the home button (which makes for an awful experience)

Other "now you know" gripes is if I knew the 4A 5G had improved specs over the 4A (not just the sole addition of 5G), I would've considered that, even if it'd set me back an additional $150. Another is if I knew there would be a blue color, I'd gone for that instead. Black is annoying to find if it falls into dark areas (e.g. under your car seat, outside at night, or poorly lit areas indoors). However, Google's trade-in program doesn't include the 4A itself. Only Pixel 4 or earlier. It hasn't been enough of a deal breaker for me to look into selling my current phone to recoup costs, nor eating the cost and spending another $350 or $500.
Im not a fan of black phones either for those same reasons And just in dark areas around the house. That's why I have one of these on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201201-182842.png
    Screenshot_20201201-182842.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 98

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Other "now you know" gripes is if I knew the 4A 5G had improved specs over the 4A (not just the sole addition of 5G),
When did you buy your phone? The 4a 5G and its specs weren't exactly a closely-guarded secret.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Im not a fan of black phones either for those same reasons And just in dark areas around the house. That's why I have one of these on it.
Not in the habit of using external cases, which is why I put somewhat more stock into the phone's color itself. That said, if I can find an external case that'll let me put it in my belt clip holder, I may consider it.

When did you buy your phone? The 4a 5G and its specs weren't exactly a closely-guarded secret.
Middle of Aug. 2020. Really? When was this known? I can acknowledge I may not have done my due diligence, but even Google's sites didn't seem to mention this.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Middle of Aug. 2020. Really? When was this known?
I think it was pretty well known by then. Here's an article about a slip-up revealing the release date earlier than planned, the article was from Aug. 5.

Unfortunately, other articles from that site were more "live" and no longer have the same content they would have had 4 months ago when they were originally published. I found one that got turned into the review article but it seemed the original date from the Google search was actually back in early August.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.