Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Ok so I’m late to the party 😬, I’ve only just seen that Google now have a tablet. Ordinarily that would not interest me since I’m deep in the Apple ecosystem, however what did get my attention is the fact that it can be docked and used as a hub. This has to be the first time a tablet has done this and been made this way?

does anyone here have the Google Pixel tablet And if so what do you think of it? im considering picking one up mainly to use when docked in my bedroom, on my bedside table, i want to slideshow photos, get weather updates and play the odd song using the doc speakers. Since I’m deep in the Apple ecosystem and don’t own any Pixel devices, would this work as I intend, also would it play nice with putting photos on there in order to make a slideshow?

what could i do on the Google Pixel Tablet that I can’t do on my iPad Pro?

Basically would this work well as a stand alone device, mainly for a home hub? occasionally consuming content (when my iPad Pro dies) Or am I barking up the wrong tree? 😬

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
I haven’t got a Pixel Tablet, but have followed it as I was contemplating purchasing one prior to getting my current iPad. I watched the following video recently and it might be of interest to you-

If you still want to purchase one, I would suggest waiting until Google starts offering promotions. I don’t think you will have long to wait. Here’s an example of the sort of deals that were on offer last Black Friday-
https://9to5google.com/2022/11/29/pixel-7-black-friday/

There's a thread discussing it here-

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I haven’t got a Pixel Tablet, but have followed it as I was contemplating purchasing one prior to getting my current iPad. I watched the following video recently and it might be of interest to you-

If you still want to purchase one, I would suggest waiting until Google starts offering promotions. I don’t think you will have long to wait. Here’s an example of the sort of deals that were on offer last Black Friday-
https://9to5google.com/2022/11/29/pixel-7-black-friday/

There's a thread discussing it here-

Thank you for posting that video, it's definitely an interesting concept. I saw that Google are offering a promotion on the 12th the same day as the Apple event (very sneaky of them). I will wait and see what happens.

Reactions: AJB1971

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
Thank you for posting that video, it's definitely an interesting concept. I saw that Google are offering a promotion on the 12th the same day as the Apple event (very sneaky of them). I will wait and see what happens.
Yes, well spotted.

Google tend to be fairly aggressive with their promotions and I expect them to do the same with the Pixel Tablet as they try to build market share.

For example, the Pixel 6a launched in July 22 for £399 in the UK. By November, Google was running a promotion where you could get one for £299. Additionally, they were offering a further £100 trade-in boost on the value of your old smartphone.

The Pixel Tablet is £599 in the UK, which I think is too high (for comparison, the 10th Gen. iPad starts at £499). I can certainly see it being discounted by £100 in the UK and $100 in the US, possibly even more before the end of the year. At those prices, it becomes a far more compelling proposition.

Like you, it would be nice to hear from any MacRumors members that have bought one.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Yes, well spotted.

Google tend to be fairly aggressive with their promotions and I expect them to do the same with the Pixel Tablet as they try to build market share.

For example, the Pixel 6a launched in July 22 for £399 in the UK. By November, Google was running a promotion where you could get one for £299. Additionally, they were offering a further £100 trade-in boost on the value of your old smartphone.

The Pixel Tablet is £599 in the UK, which I think is too high (for comparison, the 10th Gen. iPad starts at £499). I can certainly see it being discounted by £100 in the UK and $100 in the US, possibly even more before the end of the year. At those prices, it becomes a far more compelling proposition.

Like you, it would be nice to hear from any MacRumors members that have bought one.

If they do good deals then it will definitely be worth it alongside my iPad Pro. I tend to dip my foot in the Android waters, but im deep in the Apple Ecosystem.

Reactions: AJB1971

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Yes, well spotted.

It’s 20% off certain products, but only 10% off the Pixel Tablet. I just had the email and checked it out.

AJB1971

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
It’s 20% off certain products, but only 10% off the Pixel Tablet. I just had the email and checked it out.
It’s 10% in the UK as well, which is disappointing. My feeling is that there will be much bigger discounts available later, possibly for Black Friday, but it depends if you want to wait.

Apparently, it was discounted by 25% in Japan last month-

It's already been on sale for $439 in the US before-

Last edited:

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
It’s 10% in the UK as well, which is disappointing. My feeling is that there will be much bigger discounts available later, possibly for Black Friday, but it depends if you want to wait.

Apparently, it was discounted by 25% in Japan last month-

It's already been on sale for $439 in the US before-

Yea im in the UK too, it's a small discount making it £539 for the 128GB version

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
I'm not the normal type. My tablet is my go to device over my Windows PC.
I am not locked into the Apple ecosystem.
The video changed my mind. Don't want one.
Thanks for posting.
If I wanted a smart display sort of thing, Amazon could be a better bet.

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Well, I really have to say I love the tablet. I can’t believe how fast it is compared to my iPad mini six, the battery is just fantastic and it feels good in your hand. I wasn’t sure But I wanted to give it a try the first 24 hours I don’t think I’ll be returning it. I’ll see if I can do more of an update after I play with a little bit more.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Today, I want to BestBuy and checked out the pixel tablet. I came away impressed. The screen is very good and the size is great. Also, it was very easy to align the tablet to the stand with little effort. Boy, if Google made the stand for both landscape and portrait, I'd get it. For now, I'm going to wait for a great deal on an open box or other sale.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
You no there nothing wrong in having both Google and Apple products mix I have an Apple TV for my main tv an a Google chormcast. For my 4 it. Monitor. I all so have a 2023 onn android tablet I will soon be getting my self a pixel tablet my self

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
As much as I love my Pixel products the first Gen tablet is a big pass for me.

Now you see sales for $399 and at that price I think the Pixel tablet is great.

BUT if you compare it to the much more expensive on paper Galaxy tab s9 it just feels old.

The Galaxy tab s9 is on sale as well and with a trade in of another galaxy tablet it is cheaper than the Pixel tablet on sale.

With the Tensor G2 and 60hz ips display I just can't recommend the Pixel tablet. The stand and smart home features are useless to me in how I use a tablet.

While the tab s9 has the 8 gen 2, super amoled display at 120hz, great speakers, great battery and extreme performance.

I hope next year that Google steps up and offers a higher tier experience. A top of the line Pixel tablet with a 120hz OLED screen, Tensor G3/G4, better speakers and (optional) speaker/stand would be a much better experience.

However if you don't have a trade in and don't love Samsung OneUI then I don't see a better option. For $399 the Pixel tablet is a great choice. For the $499 MSRP it is a harder choice.

I really hope that Google does with it's Tablet line what it is doing with the Pixel phone line. Google has really doubled down on making a premium Pixel phone line and I hope they do the same with the Pixel Tablet. I would love to see a "Bay" Pixel tablet 2!

Reactions: robvalentine

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
As much as I love my Pixel products the first Gen tablet is a big pass for me.

Now you see sales for $399 and at that price I think the Pixel tablet is great.

BUT if you compare it to the much more expensive on paper Galaxy tab s9 it just feels old.

The Galaxy tab s9 is on sale as well and with a trade in of another galaxy tablet it is cheaper than the Pixel tablet on sale.

With the Tensor G2 and 60hz ips display I just can't recommend the Pixel tablet. The stand and smart home features are useless to me in how I use a tablet.

While the tab s9 has the 8 gen 2, super amoled display at 120hz, great speakers, great battery and extreme performance.

I hope next year that Google steps up and offers a higher tier experience. A top of the line Pixel tablet with a 120hz OLED screen, Tensor G3/G4, better speakers and (optional) speaker/stand would be a much better experience.

However if you don't have a trade in and don't love Samsung OneUI then I don't see a better option. For $399 the Pixel tablet is a great choice. For the $499 MSRP it is a harder choice.

I really hope that Google does with it's Tablet line what it is doing with the Pixel phone line. Google has really doubled down on making a premium Pixel phone line and I hope they do the same with the Pixel Tablet. I would love to see a "Bay" Pixel tablet 2!
I agreed with you I was going to get one my self but at the same time I wait for the 2nd gen so I ended up getting me one of the new acer chormbook plus

Reactions: Technerd108

jimimac71

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2019
California
An HDMI port or casting/mirroring would help, and an SD slot.
Even at $399 a Chromebook or Windows laptop can do that.
Not sure why desktop and mobile browsers have to be different.

Reactions: sracer

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I’ve just had a Black Friday preview email from Google, the Pixel Tablet will be £100 off.

IMG_5639.jpeg

Dave245

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Google Pixel Tablet is £499 with Black Friday deal, via Google Store.

BMox81

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2014
United Kingdom
I’ve come to the conclusion that my next Tablet will be the Pixel one What with us using Google for our smart home needs.

Now whether that is a discounted V1 or a (I hope) 2nd gen with everything beefed up a little remains to be seen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.