Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Thought I would start a thread on the Pixel watch 2. What do you think? Did you have the original Pixel watch? How does it compare and contrast? Galaxy watch, Apple watch?

This is my first smartwatch so I really don't have anything to compare it to. So far I have been pretty happy with it.

The screen is bright and the automatic brightness works well. The watch is fast, has decent haptics and speaker. Using apps and switching through menus seems very responsive.

Battery life is great. It will run a full 24 hours and have battery left over. Generally I wear it from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep and it usually has around 50% or more.

I like the band and case. The watch is very comfortable. I think the size is perfect.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Although, I only had a brief time with the original Pixel Watch... my initial impression was that I enjoyed the premium look of it. It kind of reminded me if Apple made a circular watch... which kind of peaked my interest into buying it.

And as for the software, it's what you expect in a Pixel device... by getting the same experience coming from a Pixel phone. I definitely prefer the Pixel Watch UI over Galaxy Watch UI. But unfortunately that's where it ended for me... not fond of the watch size.

I rather have something big on my wrist... I came from the 46mm Watch Classic, to downgrade to a 41mm just wasn't in the cards for me. But as soon as they decide to make a bigger watch... I'll surely jump on board.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
Having both the Pixel Watch 2 & Galaxy Watch 6 44mm, one thing i've noticed with the PW2 is how smooth and lag free the UI is, the GW6 on the other hand lags sometimes, did this also on the GW5 & GW4 I previously had & was never really sorted out.

Dropping from 44mm down to 41mm isn’t as bad as i thought it would be, I've got use to the smaller screen pretty quickly but would still liked to have the option of 44mm, & i also love the haptics on the PW2.

Battery life is about the same as the GW6 so no complaints there.

If Google had brought out a 44mm version of the PW2, i honestly think it would be a contender for the best Android Smartwatch of 2023, something they really need to sort out for the Pixel Watch 3 next year.

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
The watch is definitely snappy. I can understand the desire for a larger size. I guess since it is such a small area that 4mm difference wouldn't mean much but since I don't have much experience with these I can't say.

To me, being a person who has a decent size wrist and has had many regular watches over the years the sweet spot in terms of size and comfort is 40mm. Obviously using plastic, titanium or aluminum should keep things comfortable at a larger size. So if Google does make a larger size I hope they keep the aluminum.

I really like the auto brightness as it actually works and quickly. As a watch it is extremely legible in any condition. Notifications are fast and reliable so far.

Very happy with the Pixel watch 2 so far.

psp123

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
I like the watch a lot but have one major issue. Outdoors the heart rate sensor does not work well. When going for slow walks it often shows 180 BPM. It's a bit cold now but I've never had this issue with the Apple Watch 7 that I've used for two years. Indoors there are no issues.

I've adjusted the strap but can't get it to work reliably. Does anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I like the watch a lot but have one major issue. Outdoors the heart rate sensor does not work well. When going for slow walks it often shows 180 BPM. It's a bit cold now but I've never had this issue with the Apple Watch 7 that I've used for two years. Indoors there are no issues.

I've adjusted the strap but can't get it to work reliably. Does anyone else have this issue?
I thought it was just me but there are times when my heart rate seems unusually high.

However it seems to be pretty accurate but it does seem to over read at times. There is no correlation between where for me.

I don't have anything to compare it with so I don't know if it is right or not but sometimes when it reports pretty high it does correlate with activity but sometimes it doesn't.

I think it might be off and hopefully they will update it.

Reactions: psp123
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.