Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
I am a bit fan of Pixelmator Pro on Mac and now I have switched to iPad. I know there two versions of Pixelmator available on iPad, one is “Pixelmator Photo” which is mostly for editing photos and the other one is “Pixelmator for iOS” (with quite low rating in German App Store). Is the latter one anyhow similar to the desktop version? I just need some basic functionality such as layers and layer styles, selection tool (to remove objects and backgrounds), patch tool and so on.

I also heard about Affinity, it’s rating in the App Store is also below 4 and interface looks unfamiliar after Pixelmator Pro, but I am considering this app as well.

Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I am a bit fan of Pixelmator Pro on Mac and now I have switched to iPad. I know there two versions of Pixelmator available on iPad, one is “Pixelmator Photo” which is mostly for editing photos and the other one is “Pixelmator for iOS” (with quite low rating in German App Store). Is the latter one anyhow similar to the desktop version? I just need some basic functionality such as layers and layer styles, selection tool (to remove objects and backgrounds), patch tool and so on.

I also heard about Affinity, it’s rating in the App Store is also below 4 and interface looks unfamiliar after Pixelmator Pro, but I am considering this app as well.
Better compare Pixelmator for iOS with Pixelmator for macOS - not the Pixelmator Pro.
It is somewhat limited and has quite a different UI/UX, but it can perform the tasks that you're after.

Here's a few screenshots. If you need more, just ask and I'll try my best to add them here. IMG_7693.PNG IMG_7694.PNG IMG_7695.PNG IMG_7696.PNG

Reactions: Propine

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Than you for the screenshots! I think it will do 90% of what I need and if not I will either jump into a desktop Pixelmator Pro or buy an Affinity. From reviews I understood that projects are not compatible between Pixelmator for iOS and Pixelmator Pro?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Than you for the screenshots! I think it will do 90% of what I need and if not I will either jump into a desktop Pixelmator Pro or buy an Affinity. From reviews I understood that projects are not compatible between Pixelmator for iOS and Pixelmator Pro?
Pixelmator Pro on macOS can open a file that was created in Pixelmator on iOS (filename.pxm).
Pixelmator on iOS cannot open a file that was created with Pixelmator Pro on macOS (filename.pxd).
HTH

Schermafbeelding 2022-05-02 om 12.13.24.png

IMG_50F4399D4C49-1.jpeg

Reactions: Propine

pmudditt

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2010
Newcastle, UK

Affinity Photo on iPad is desktop class, far superior to Photoshop in many peoples opinion, worth twice the price.

LMC91

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
I actually think they're working on bringing Pixelmator Pro to iPad if I remember reading, but no indication of when it'll come, could be quite a while sadly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.