Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qmathe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Toulouse, France
Hi,

I'm happy to introduce Placeboard! For a quick overview and screenshots, visit: http://placeboardapp.com

You can use it in the city to remember shops, restaurants and many other places. For outdoor activities, to remember a mountain top or camping spot :)

You can organize your places by tags, check them without internet access, search what's around you precisely, or change your mind at anytime with the advanced undo/redo support.

Places can be shared quickly by SMS, email, Facebook… Or with collaborative place lists, where you invite friends to contribute.

If you are interested to join the beta test directly: https://rink.hockeyapp.net/recruit/5a54cc4f74524aafa023aeddc212bd69

To follow the app news, check Twitter or Facebook.

Any feedback or questions are welcome!

Cheers,
Quentin.

place-list-screenshot-small.jpg

endorphins

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Lisbon
Hi Quentin!

Congratulations on your app. I have to ask, though: if I already use Foursquare, why should I use Placeboard?

qmathe

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Toulouse, France
The main difference lies in the fact Foursquare is a social network while Placeboard isn't.

Placeboard is entirely designed as your own private place database. You don't need an account to use it, you won't see other people ratings, suggestions or comments, and they won't have access to your saved places. It's up to you to decide how you organize your places and which tags you create.

Collaborative place lists are just an optional social feature, that leverages iCloud and limited to the people you invite.

There are various other differences. For example… Your place database is saved directly on your iPhone and not on a server, so Placeboard still works when there is no network. This also means Placeboard is really fast, you won't see loading spinners unlike Foursquare.

Foursquare place database is also not as rich as Apple place databases, so Placeboard tend to provide more results than Foursquare.

From a user interface standpoint, Foursquare is pretty complex app, while Placeboard is much simpler and minimalistic, but with a big focus on polishing its core features. To give an example… When searching for a new place to save or within your own place lists, the app provides a custom control to easily filter what's around you within a certain radius.

I hope this was convincing enough ;) Let me know if some aspects are still unclear.

endorphins

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Lisbon
The main difference lies in the fact Foursquare is a social network while Placeboard isn't.

Placeboard is entirely designed as your own private place database. You don't need an account to use it, you won't see other people ratings, suggestions or comments, and they won't have access to your saved places. It's up to you to decide how you organize your places and which tags you create.

Collaborative place lists are just an optional social feature, that leverages iCloud and limited to the people you invite.

There are various other differences. For example… Your place database is saved directly on your iPhone and not on a server, so Placeboard still works when there is no network. This also means Placeboard is really fast, you won't see loading spinners unlike Foursquare.

Foursquare place database is also not as rich as Apple place databases, so Placeboard tend to provide more results than Foursquare.

From a user interface standpoint, Foursquare is pretty complex app, while Placeboard is much simpler and minimalistic, but with a big focus on polishing its core features. To give an example… When searching for a new place to save or within your own place lists, the app provides a custom control to easily filter what's around you within a certain radius.

I hope this was convincing enough ;) Let me know if some aspects are still unclear.

It sure was - thanks for the detailed explanation! I'll give you my feedback after using it for a while!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.