Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komatsu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
You mean the OS one drive and the user data on another?

One option might be this: forget about your fusion drive. Use a pure play SSD drive.
Then for storage use an external drive connected via Thunderbolt. Best of both worlds then.

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth

One option might be this: forget about your fusion drive. Use a pure play SSD drive.
Then for storage use an external drive connected via Thunderbolt. Best of both worlds then.
Why the external drive? That can't be faster than an internal Fusion Drive which is connected via S-ATA, can it?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland

Plain ssd is not possible. Can't afford big enough.
Even if I could, I'd buy something else. I like cost effective technology, like fusion drive.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
So long as you're using a fusion drive that has an SSD portion of sufficient capacity (128gb), things should run just fine.

Beware of the "1tb fusion iMacs" out there. They have an SSD portion that is only 24gb in size. Not really "big enough".
For the iMac, you want the "2tb fusion drive" (which has the 128gb SSD portion).

It would help if you told us what Mac you had in mind...?

Reactions: komatsu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.