Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
Almost hooked to it... I still can resist...

This game is stunning!
Basic building of rides, .. the easy game modes for starters and kids are perfect.
Running nice on medium to high settings on my iMac 2012 - i7 3.4 - GTX 680MX
I still hae to check if lowering the resolution (now @ 2560x1440, full screen) increases the FPS and gaming experience

Reactions: Huntn

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Almost hooked to it... I still can resist...

This game is stunning!
Basic building of rides, .. the easy game modes for starters and kids are perfect.
Running nice on medium to high settings on my iMac 2012 - i7 3.4 - GTX 680MX
I still hae to check if lowering the resolution (now @ 2560x1440, full screen) increases the FPS and gaming experience

I assume by easy game mode and kids you mean sandbox ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Possibly repetition, but you'll find if you just slap stock pieced together, it won't have nearly as much impact as a lot of custom crafting with trim pieces. I'm working on this slowly and once I get a good example I'll post an example of plain vs fancy.

I recently started up a Silvarret speed build video on my spare computer (tablet will work too), and paused it frequently. I've been able to see what section of the inventory he's in, find the right piece which can seem daunting at times, and mimic his build. A big part of building is figuring out how the controls are used to manipulate building pieces, to understand how trim can be used effectively, and understanding that non-grid pieces have great flexibility in how they are manipulate while grid pieces are more limited. :)

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
*BUMP*

I have been playing this game since february and love it. Was wondering if anyone else here still plays it despite being windows only. I get lost in building things and learning from youtube vids. I follow a great community on youtube called "channel 5 gaming" which i recommend to learn, enter contests, and see creations from very talented people. While PC has a park management mode, it really shines in sandbox.

I run it on my 2010 Mac Pro with gtx 670 4gb on medium/high settings with Win 7 bootcamped and usually stay above 30fps depending on how many pieces are in the park.

Here is an example of a build in the community that impressed me...

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
*BUMP*

I have been playing this game since february and love it. Was wondering if anyone else here still plays it despite being windows only. I get lost in building things and learning from youtube vids. I follow a great community on youtube called "channel 5 gaming" which i recommend to learn, enter contests, and see creations from very talented people. While PC has a park management mode, it really shines in sandbox.

I run it on my 2010 Mac Pro with gtx 670 4gb on medium/high settings with Win 7 bootcamped and usually stay above 30fps depending on how many pieces are in the park.

Now that is impressive, how do these people build this stuff ?

Grade

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2007
here the list to do that:
1- A lot of free time
2- A lot of perseverance
3- A lot of creativity and imagination
4- A lot of planning

The Tron Experience, the Pharaoh and the Castle park are among my favourites. I do hope this game comes to the mac.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
here the list to do that:
1- A lot of free time
2- A lot of perseverance
3- A lot of creativity and imagination
4- A lot of planning

The Tron Experience, the Pharaoh and the Castle park are among my favourites. I do hope this game comes to the mac.
Have to agree with your favourites :)

It runs under Bootcamp, but prefer if it came to the Mac.

MeValonicAcid

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2008
Belgium
I play it under Bootcamp (2012 27' imac). Very nice, good looking, fun to play, runs OK but I needed to cut on the video settings for bigger parks.
Via MSI afterburner: almost a continuous 100% load on the video card (GTX 680MX) on 1440p or 1080p on medium settings, fan goes at max after 5 min of gameplay. The CPU stays below 50%.
Would love to play it on OSX, but I fear for an even lower performance once it is ported...

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
*BUMP*

I was intrigued by the building, probably the most in depth building system I've seen, but I was discouraged by being locked into a park with building facades and not buildings meant to be lived in. It did not help that building a coaster was definitely my second priority as compared to the building of buildings. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was big in this thread earlier, launched into the game with high expectations back in Dec 2016, but then I got bogged down with building. It's cool, it has outstanding detail, but it's complicated. The other issue I ran into is I don't want a flat park, and when terraforming, it is a challenge to keep perspective of scale and a good understanding of when too much is too much as far as running walkways up the side of a mountain. ;) I'm sure much of this is just user inexperience. Also I was drawn into this game because of the building, but don't have a clue about the best way to build a roller coaster. I need to look at some tutorials.

Anyway after setting the game aside for a while, I plan on giving it a second go. I should probably start simple with a flat park and work my way up. Anyone have terraforming vs scale tips?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
*BUMP*

I've been watching crazy videos and it's actually discouraging me, wondering if I can ever match the magnificence in some of these designs. :oops:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Building talk- One interesting thing is when you watch the pros build, in my example Silvarret, he builds the roofs of buildings first and then fills in under them. It's a little mind boggling as he must know exactly how tall the bottom of those roofs are for what will go under them.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
I've been watching crazy videos and it's actually discouraging me, wondering if I can ever match the magnificence in some of these designs. :oops:
I know exactly what you mean. The quality of peoples builds keep getting better on YT and it gets discouraging. I keep telling myself that what I do does not have to be as good as others, as long as I like the results and hopefully inspire a few people out there.

One trap that is easy to fall into is simply imitating what others build without actually liking what you are building. Sure, looking at other videos is good for getting inspiration and how to use the tools in planet coaster, but what you end up building yourself should be something you like and inspires you. So for my first build I went with a Sonic the Hedgehog level coaster, which was a big influence on me when I was a kid (video found below).

One tip that has helped me is having two monitors connected to my Mac Pro. The left one is for planet coaster and the right one is usually an image of what I am building. I know others that do this and it helps without having to tab out of PC and back.

And as far as Silvarret is concerned, I'm not sure if he's even human ;)

Reactions: ErikGrim

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know exactly what you mean. The quality of peoples builds keep getting better on YT and it gets discouraging. I keep telling myself that what I do does not have to be as good as others, as long as I like the results and hopefully inspire a few people out there.

One trap that is easy to fall into is simply imitating what others build without actually liking what you are building. Sure, looking at other videos is good for getting inspiration and how to use the tools in planet coaster, but what you end up building yourself should be something you like and inspires you. So for my first build I went with a Sonic the Hedgehog level coaster, which was a big influence on me when I was a kid (video found below).

One tip that has helped me is having two monitors connected to my Mac Pro. The left one is for planet coaster and the right one is usually an image of what I am building. I know others that do this and it helps without having to tab out of PC and back.

And as far as Silvarret is concerned, I'm not sure if he's even human ;)

Wow, that is something and your first coaster! How did you build the donuts and the Sonic statue? Are you still active in the game? Thanks for responding. :)

The first video I saw of this game was the This is Amazing video, I posted back in post 7 which looks like it has no rides, just a huge fantastic build. I imagined you'd build terrain and run the coaster through the terrain, but it looks like an accepted technique is build the coaster first (for design and fidelity) and then build up the land around it. Have you any experience with terraforming? :):)

For reference:

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Wow, that is something and your first coaster! How did you build the donuts and the Sonic statue? Are you still active in the game? Thanks for responding. :)

The first video I saw of this game was the This is Amazing video, I posted back in post 7 which looks like it has no rides, just a huge fantastic build. I imagined you'd build terrain and run the coaster through the terrain, but it looks like an accepted technique is build the coaster first (for design and fidelity) and then build up the land around it. Have you any experience with terraforming? :):)

Thanks, it took a lot of time to do. The rings and Sonic statue where all done with basic shapes (scenery>custom>art shapes). I have spent most of my time messing with these, terraforming, not so much. I just like building things more than coasters and terrain.

I just built a 27" iMac for the heck of it...

Workshop link if you have the game... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1092569963

The summer update has a cool new feature: billboards. The iMac uses the ingame 32m billboard so that you can place a custom image or video (webm only) and play it on the screen.

BTW if you ever get around to uploading something to the workshop let me know. I'm always interested in what people come up with :)

Reactions: ErikGrim

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks, it took a lot of time to do. The rings and Sonic statue where all done with basic shapes (scenery>custom>art shapes). I have spent most of my time messing with these, terraforming, not so much. I just like building things more than coasters and terrain.

I just built a 27" iMac for the heck of it...

Workshop link if you have the game... http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1092569963

The summer update has a cool new feature: billboards. The iMac uses the ingame 32m billboard so that you can place a custom image or video (webm only) and play it on the screen.

BTW if you ever get around to uploading something to the workshop let me know. I'm always interested in what people come up with :)
This is completely cool! The problem I'm having with building is that I think all of the pieces should be both grid and non grid. A small minority of them are non-grid with the true freedom to place as desired. I may just download your iMac to see how it's put together. :)

How many grids seperate grids does this represent?

Last edited:

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
This is completely cool! The problem I'm having with building is that I think all of the pieces should be both grid and non grid. A small minority of them are non-grid with the true freedom to place as desired. I may just download your iMac to see how it's put together. :)

How many grids seperate grids does this represent?
Short answer - the iMac is just one object (AKA blueprint) consisting of both gridded and non-grid pieces. It is just one grid.

Long answer - when placing a gridded object, like a wall or roof, it starts a grid that is both horizontal and vertical. The benefit to this is the ability to quickly place pieces next to each other, like making a building, and every grid object you place always snaps in place and at 90 degree angles. The problem though is that these pieces cannot rotate at any angle smaller than 90 degrees. You just are building in a box. Wall pieces are only vertical and cannot rotate to lay flat and roof pieces are only horizontal and cannot rotate to be up and down.

Non-gridded pieces are much more flexible in that they can rotate at any angle, in 15 degree incraments or even free rotate, and then move either according to the new plane or original by toggling world and relative axis button. The problem with them is they take more time to place just right if you are lining them up to other pieces.

The main thing to understand in planet coaster building is you always want to build with a grid even if your final object has no grid objects in it. If you just start laying down non-grid pieces next to each other planet coaster views each piece as a seperate object and you will run into the following problems...
1. Selecting all those pieces to move or rotate them will be a chore. You have to click the multi-selection tool in order drag and select all the pieces, and when you do you will also be selecting any object behind it. Very annoying.
2. When you have multiple objects selected you cant duplicate them.
3. When you have multiple objects of the same type selected you cant change an attribute like their color at once, it must be done piece by piece.

These problems go away when you select an object (building) and click the edit building button.

So if you want to build something out of the art shapes for example, first start with a wall or roof piece. You will then have an easier time editing and moving that object and once you are finished you can delete that piece. Just remember that when you do the pieces go back to being seperate objects.

Some tips i have learned...
1. When using grid pieces select the settings button and change the grid size and height for more accuracy.
2. If you want to have a grid for non-grid items in order to space things out and measure, place four roof pieces, one at each corner of your working area, so that you have a working grid. Then simply add your pieces to it then delete your roof pieces when you are done.
3. If you have a creation that is a bunch of non building pieces and you want to treat it like a building, simply place a wall or roof piece next to it, then use the multi selection tool to select all the pieces and the roof or wall piece, then click "add standalone scenery to selected building" and presto, its now a building.
4. If you have a collection of pieces or building that you use often, save it as a blueprint to duplicate it and to move it to other parks. Just remember the piece limit is 4000.

Hope this helped :)

BigBoyBmw760li

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
BOSTON
So lame that this game is only in PC. I love City Skylines as I been playing since sim city 4, but I have been waiting for a spiritual successor for RCT3 and of course it's only pc only. Would using wine work for it? Because FL Studio works fine for me off Wine...

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
So lame that this game is only in PC. I love City Skylines as I been playing since sim city 4, but I have been waiting for a spiritual successor for RCT3 and of course it's only pc only. Would using wine work for it? Because FL Studio works fine for me off Wine...
I agree. I hate using Windows but at the same time computers are just a tool and I didn't want that to get in the way of what I want to do. So I bought Win7 on the cheap for planet coaster and one other Win only app and its working out so far in bootcamp. Now with SSD dual booting is not so bad, its rather a quick process.

As far as Wine I have not tried it but I wouldn't recommend it. Planet coaster is pretty demanding in native Windows. I know someone who has the latest I7 with GTX 1080Ti fx card in a PC and their performance is not much better than weaker setups with parks with a lot of pieces. The game can definately use some optimization.

One nice thing about planet coaster is if you don't mind playing parks with a small piece count then you can get by with older hardware (still want a dedicated GPU) and get decent FPS. I play with a GTX 670 4gb from 2012 and it works fine. Plus the game has good choices on fx settings from lowest to ultra. To me medium fx does not look much worse than ultra settings so you can set it to whatever works for your hardware.

As far as native Mac port goes frontier has stated they do not plan to support MacOS but now with the advances in Metal it could happen someday. I am not hopeful though.

Reactions: BigBoyBmw760li

theISHkid

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2004
Moore, OK
Anybody have keyboard and mouse shortcuts for playing on a macbook via bootcamp? I just bought the game but I'm having problems figuring out the controls.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I got sucked into watching many hours of these Planet Coaster build videos. Amazing stuff!

I bought the game... but my coasters are lame and I'm not very creative.

So back to watching videos I go... :p

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia

This is hella cool. Great work man!

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Anybody have keyboard and mouse shortcuts for playing on a macbook via bootcamp? I just bought the game but I'm having problems figuring out the controls.
Main thing is to go to options > controls in game to see the controls. You can even rebind some of the keys to whatever you want there. I would also recommend using a mouse if not already do so. If not then maybe someone else can help with the trackpad stuff as I am just a desktop guy. For example the game is set to camera tilt and rotate while holding left and right mouse buttons and zooming using mouse wheel.
Any specific things you want to do?
This is hella cool. Great work man!
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.