Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matc

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
I was wondering if there are any rumours that Apple will allow manufactures to make specific car data available through documented CarPlay APIs?
Background of this question: If you're driving an electric car, it would be great to allow navigation apps to plan your route including stops at chargers based on consumption / SoC...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
"New in iOS 14, EV Charging, Parking, and Quick Food Ordering apps can be updated to appear in CarPlay. In addition, all CarPlay apps can take advantage of the CarPlay framework to provided a consistent design, optimized for use in the car."

not sure if other apps will have access, but it's going to be in the phone.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t know if this is already possible, but I‘d like my phone and car to communicate with each other so that any car maintenance needed (spontaneously based on sensors or scheduled based on mileage) show up in my phone’s Notification Center.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
It's not quite as seamless as that, but google "OBD2 iPhone"

There are a ton of apps out there, they pair with a dongle plugged into your car's diagnostic port

I Live in NYC, and don't have a car, so don't really have specific recommendations.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
It's not quite as seamless as that, but google "OBD2 iPhone"

There are a ton of apps out there, they pair with a dongle plugged into your car's diagnostic port

I Live in NYC, and don't have a car, so don't really have specific recommendations.
Was always hoping one of those apps would make its way into CarPlay.

matc

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2008
Thanks for your replies. I think this will go the usual way: More and more manufacturers will support that integration and it will be used exclusively for Apple Maps. Then at some point, they will open up the API to other developers. I also hope that they will allow Siri being used for stuff like "Siri, open sun roof." - in Germany there has been a court ruling that states that you're not allowed to use a touch screen in a car to change settings that are a bit more hidden in the menus. The case was about a Tesla owner that crashed during heavy rain because he was distracted when he tried to change the wipers settings. So Siri voice control would come in handy (not for Tesla as of now obviously).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.