Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Hi,

We have a few HomePods at home, and I'm frequently running into the situation where I'm near a HomePod that's playing music (mostly from a family account), so my iPhone picks this up and shows the control elements etc. on the Lock Screen and in the Music App. But then I want to play music on my iPhone without stopping the music the HomePod plays - and I always struggle how to do this with the UI. It should be obvious to select the iPhone to play whatever Music I choose...

It'd be great if there is some help to do that (sounds easy enough, actually...)

Thanks
Peter

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
Hi,

We have a few HomePods at home, and I'm frequently running into the situation where I'm near a HomePod that's playing music (mostly from a family account), so my iPhone picks this up and shows the control elements etc. on the Lock Screen and in the Music App. But then I want to play music on my iPhone without stopping the music the HomePod plays - and I always struggle how to do this with the UI. It should be obvious to select the iPhone to play whatever Music I choose...

It'd be great if there is some help to do that (sounds easy enough, actually...)

Thanks
Peter
1. Open the Music App
2. Tap the AirPlay icon on the bottom center of the now playing screen
3. Tap "Control Other Speakers & TVs"
4. 'iPhone' should be at the top.

Reactions: Itinj24 and brewc99

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Like missingar said and this can be done in a few other locations as well. The AirPlay platter at the top right of the control center and the AirPlay icon in the Lock Screen music controller. If you have an iPhone with dynamic island, there’s another AirPlay icon there as well.

pit29

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 23, 2006
The Golden State
Thanks both! The "Control other speakers & TVs", and the selecting the iPhone is probably what I've been missing. Didn't look like a button to press, given the UI is what it is...

Thanks again!

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Thanks both! The "Control other speakers & TVs", and the selecting the iPhone is probably what I've been missing. Didn't look like a button to press, given the UI is what it is...

Thanks again!
No worries. Not many would agree but I think the UI is pretty good… once you get the hang of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.