Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
I'm trying to use Logic Express 7 on my PowerBook to mix audio recorded at 44kHz.

I have a Creative Soundblaster USB interface, which I want to use for line out, but unfortunately this device seems to support 48kHz only. When I load Logic with this interface connected, it tells me that 44kHz isn't supported. I can then play back audio, but it doesn't compensate for the difference in sample rate (ie. it's faster and higher pitched!).

Is there any way around this, or do I need to have an audio interface that supports 44kHz? I read in the Logic manual that Logic was supposed to compensate for these differences so that you can play back any sample rate on any hardware, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Am I SOL?

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Logic does support the recording and playback of nearly all the common bitdepths and sample rates, but it can't make your interface play a sample rate it's not designed for.

2 options:

1. convert the sample rate of the track to 48Khz in Logic (or track by track in iTunes/quicktime/whatever), then re-import the audio as 48Khz and hey presto, or...

2. Buy a better interface.

No interface I've ever heard of only plays 48Khz, so it's worth looking into the driver and/or admin software that came with the box.

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
This interface didn't come with Mac drivers, so it's running on CoreAudio's generic drivers (I presume). I only bought it because it's cheap and I heard it worked fine on Mac OS X, which it does ... though not supporting 44kHz playback is something of a drawback.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'm with wintermute -- i've not heard of an interface that does 48k but not 44k. what's the model?

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
lol! I actually have an interface just like that. :D
It has support for 44.1k, but if I use ASIO with
my audio card, I only have the option of ASIO @ 48k.

I record at 24bit dithered to 16bit with anti aliasing resampling from 48k to 44.1k.

I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 before I knew better.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
zimv20 said:
i'm with wintermute -- i've not heard of an interface that does 48k but not 44k. what's the model?

Creative audio hardware seem to have a tendency to upsample everything from 44.1 to 48. Could very well be the case with this interface too...

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
The interface is a Creative Sound Blaster MP3+, which you can read about on this page:
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/MP3+/

I loaded Audio MIDI Setup to check the input and output options. It looks like this device has 44.1kHz and 48kHz audio input, but only 48kHz audio output. How irritating.

System sounds play fine through the sound output, but Logic doesn't compensate properly at all, which is disappointing, as it's not technically impossible by any means!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.