Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Hi all.

My new Studio Display was working fine on Monterey, but since updating to Sonoma and updating the display's firmware, every time I start playing a video in Quicktime, it will last about 5 or 6 seconds then the video will freeze, audio will continue, nothing else will be responsive and eventually the M1 MBP will crash and restart.

Unplugging the display and playing the same video on the MBP itself will work fine.

I also get the feeling that the whole OS is a bit slower while using the display but that could be my imagination.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
What is your computer - I assume Mac Studio?

Contact Apple Support. They'll help out. I have a new Mac Studio and Studio Display and was having some difficulties getting the setup completed, and they worked through the troubleshooting with me and got the issue resolved. Since you say that the Studio Display is new, it should be under warranty and they will provide support at no charge.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
M1 Macbook Pro. Even playing VLC in full screen crashed it last night, super frustrating. I can't imagine it's a hardware problem with the display, it's probably a software thing but I'll try contacting them anyway thank you.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
It seems to be a memory leak issue, it played fine when there were no other apps open but once I had a few, it crashed when I closed Quicktime.

alexanderlindo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2023
This issue still exists when video is played back using QuickTime on an external display in mirrored mode my M1 MacBook Air running macOS Sonoma 14.4.1. The issue was not present on macOS Ventura. The only workaround until Apple fixes it is to change the display mode to "Extended" or downgrade to macOS Ventura.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
This issue still exists when video is played back using QuickTime on an external display in mirrored mode my M1 MacBook Air running macOS Sonoma 14.4.1. The issue was not present on macOS Ventura. The only workaround until Apple fixes it is to change the display mode to "Extended" or downgrade to macOS Ventura.

Finally, I find someone experiencing the same problem. I don't understand how this isn't reported on more if it happens to others too.

VLC played in full screen mode also occasionally crashes my M1 MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.