Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thetorpedo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
I was wondering whether there was a media player that would play out through a firewire connection to my digital camera so i can use my mac as a player and have the video come up on a video monitor?

I do editing so i know i can do this in final cut, imovie etc and with "simple video out" i can play out some quicktime files but is there any player that just plays everything out, especially avi's, so i dont have to import them and convert them into editing apps?

basically i want to play movies out to a video monitor without unplugging one of my DVI monitors to use an DVI - sVideo adaptor.

cheers

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Have you tried Echo Fire.

I have not tried it with non-DV source files, but still a very useful app.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
Describe your set-up in more detail so we can help you.

A DV camera can only convert the digital firewire connection to and analog S-Video connection if the digital source material is in DV, so you will likely have to convert first.

If you are on a powermac you could add an extra video card with an S-Video output

thetorpedo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
If you are on a powermac you could add an extra video card with an S-Video output[/QUOTE]

i have a power mac dual g5 with a dv cam - an svideo is maybe what i need - if the amc will push the video out through it - just wanting to play movies in the lounge without having to put them on dvd

can you reccomend any cards? and are they easy to install myself

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.