Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Pretty sure I was able to do this before but now, it says I need to be on the same network. I cannot control/play musing on my homepods while I am away from home (for my kitties).

Any ideas? I even selected the "everyone" under home settings to allow access.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
It seems that Apple removed this capability in the new OS 16 version, or perhaps it's a bug.

However, you can still play music on the HomePod remotely using Shortcuts. Use the "Control My Home" action, select your HomePod and select what you want it to play (i.e. certain song, album, or playlist). You still won't be able to control it through the Home app even when it's playing, but you could have other shortcuts to pause and resume it if needed. The action can also set the audio volume or use the current volume. You could even do this in an automation to automatically start playing when you leave home.

Another option/workaround... If you have security cameras with two-way audio, you could potentially speak "Hey Siri" commands through those to control the HomePod.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I don’t remember ever being able to do that. I’ve been using the “Hey, Siri” though the camera’s two way audio workaround mentioned by BigBlur for a few years now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.