Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have been looking for ways to play music from my iPhone through to my mac, and one way I found was through the midi setup app on my computer. I plug in the phone via usb, and set it up.

My question is, and I read mixed things, is that it is bad for the battery to do this, what if the phone is already fully charged beforehand, and then I plug it in to play music?

I have also read about airplay which is found in the sharing settings on my mac, but I could not find airplay on my mac, it is not available in the sharing list.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I honestly do not think that it's bad for the battery. usually when the battery is fully charged, it will stop charging and just remain on power (whether it be outlet or the usb connected to your computer).

As long as there is no heat, that is fine as heat is the #1 that is bad for your battery.

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
I use an iPhone X and a iPad Pro gen 2 to do this on a daily basis to drive homepods.
The charging is managed, so I don't think it does much harm.
The temps of each chassis does not rise appreciably, so the charging is not aggressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.