Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Stevie

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Anyone know if it’s possible to watch Netflix movies that have been downloaded to an iPhone, on a TV when there is no WIFI?

When away in my caravan I have often watched films on my TV that I'd previously downloaded onto my iPhone, I did so using an Apple HDMI & lightening adapter. But now I’m having problems doing do, I can hear audio on my TV but can’t see video.

Have Netflix introduced HDCP encryption, or has Apple? I used to be able to do it.

SFtroll

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2022
I just bought a new monitor that says it will connect to my iPhone if I get a lightening to HDMI connected. But every one of these connectors have a small statement at the end of the description that says it will not display Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime or any videos purchased on Amazon Prime along with a laundry list of other services I like to watch. And yes it does specify the legal mumbo jumbo about paid services preventing it.

Big Stevie

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I think it might be due to HDCP encryption. I have a HDMI splitter that removes the encryption so I might give this a try, connecting my iPhone to an Apple Lightening to HDMI adapter, then a HDMI cable from that to the HDMI splitter, then another HDMI cable from that to the TV. A bit long winded, but it might work.

wonderings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2021
Not sure if this works, but maybe try opening Netflix in FireFox on your iPhone? I only think this might potentially work because in VR I use an app called "BigScreen" Basically it is a movie theatre in VR. Users can stream music from their PC's and have others join and watch online on what looks and feels like a full size movie theatre. If I wanted to try and stream Netflix I run into the same issues as mentioned in this thread, though with FireFox it works. Seems to be the only browser that allows you to play a streaming service in the browser while streaming your desktop. Might be worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.