Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tesjordan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Hi folks.

I just purchased a new Samsung TV and to my luck I got it just as it was announced that Samsung TVs can now include the Apple TV app. I have a question: if I buy a 4K movie from my Itunes account and go to watch it on the Apple TV app on my Samsung TV, will the Apple TV app playback the movie in 4K? In other words, does Apple TV app have 4K capability?

If anyone has any idea, I’d be grateful for a reply. Many thanks!!

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I just purchased a new Samsung TV and to my luck I got it just as it was announced that Samsung TVs can now include the Apple TV app. I have a question: if I buy a 4K movie from my Itunes account and go to watch it on the Apple TV app on my Samsung TV, will the Apple TV app playback the movie in 4K? In other words, does Apple TV app have 4K capability?

Since the TV app supports it on all native Apple platforms, it would surprise me greatly if it doesn't also on the TV. Wouldn't send a good signal for either company if it didn't support 4K, and they both agreed to this deal

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Nope they screwed us no 4K HDR on the Samsung TV app 1080p only.
Wow - is this true?! I'm not in the least bit disappointed I can't get the app now! AirPlay would have been nice but it's no deal breaker

Tesjordan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Nope they screwed us no 4K HDR on the Samsung TV app 1080p only.

Thanks all for your replies.

Very disappointed to hear what you said JCapps. May I ask how you know this with such apparent certainty?
[doublepost=1558645972][/doublepost]Would 4K work via Airplay?

JCapps

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2017
the movies only show up as hd in the description etc.

that sums it up pretty well

Tesjordan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Blimey. You’re dead right; that vid sums it up VERY well. Really appreciate you sharing this, thank you. Yet another financially cynical approach from Apple. Put me right off.
So, I’m guessing from this that the Airplay that’s now available on my Samsung TV also wouldn’t support 4K? I can’t seem to find any mention of it when searching.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Blimey. You’re dead right; that vid sums it up VERY well. Really appreciate you sharing this, thank you. Yet another financially cynical approach from Apple. Put me right off.
So, I’m guessing from this that the Airplay that’s now available on my Samsung TV also wouldn’t support 4K? I can’t seem to find any mention of it when searching.

I wouldn’t take any notice of that video as the guy doesn’t have a clue as it does playback 4K.
It even shows it’s playing back in 4K HDR in his video
0d1703ff64496b1ed88ef6661cda365f.jpg

This video totally contradicts what he says and even shows the TV setting displaying HDR is enabled.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.