Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I recently used my 15 inch PowerBook G4 (2005) running Leopard to watch 'A Christmas Story'. After putting it away, I decided to pull out my 2003, 15 inch PowerBook G4 running 10.3.8 to just poke around and enjoy a bit of nostalgia. Panther actually has aged quite well, but technically, its not maintained its longevity. I noticed I can't seem to connect to my wireless network, although this might be due to a buggy installation. But, I was able to connect it to the Internet and see if I could browse. If you are gonna use Safari 1.2 which is included, nope. It can't even load Apples own page. I was able to get better milage with IE 5.2, but even that is a dead end for the most part. I was able to reach Google and Macintosh Garden.

Panther feels really clean in its design, bold, but lighter with its look and feel. Probably the worse part of it is the brush metal Finder. As an everyday operating system, its absolutely boring by 2020 standards and generally, macOS is boring because of its appliance like experience. There is nothing really to poke around in if you are an average user. If you have applications like Office and Adobe CS installed (which I do), then you can occupy your time with offline creativity and productivity.

Networking was a pleasant surprise, since I was able to see it from my M1 running Big Sur. This is something you can't do with 10.0. I have yet to try Jaguar to see if networking works. As I have said previously, these earlier versions of OS X are now in the realm of ancestor software and its unclear if things like networking will be maintained to provide continuity with more modern versions of the software. Apple is notorious for pulling out stuff it thinks is dead weight in the OS or critical to security. But its always amazing to see software that's almost 20 years old still making connections with its present day descendants.

Reactions: Project Alice

ondioline

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2020
Anything after Jaguar should show up in your LAN, because it's still Bonjour/Rendezvous. I can't imagine that ever changing considering AirPrint and a million other things uses it.

Anyway yes Panther is one of my favorite versions, miles better than Jaguar at any rate

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Anything after Jaguar should show up in your LAN, because it's still Bonjour/Rendezvous. I can't imagine that ever changing considering AirPrint and a million other things uses it.

Anyway yes Panther is one of my favorite versions, miles better than Jaguar at any rate
By 10.3, I think OS X became solid enough for everyday use and as the default over classic. But, I will say Tiger with Spotlight is what makes it a reason to leave behind and potentially be able to get a little more mileage.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Panther is a solid OS. UI is very nice other than the poor proportions in the Finder. Overall Tiger does beat it out and there's not much reason to run Panther over Tiger when given the choice unless you're a hobbyist. I need to reinstall it on my early 2005 PowerBook, and I'd like to try and get it running on my Mid 2005 iBook but I think it's unlikely to work out.

Also, I just find it amusing that there were no posts on this board from March 2005 to 2020 when randomly posts started returning, not sure why...

Reactions: Project Alice

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Panther is a solid OS. UI is very nice other than the poor proportions in the Finder. Overall Tiger does beat it out and there's not much reason to run Panther over Tiger when given the choice unless you're a hobbyist. I need to reinstall it on my early 2005 PowerBook, and I'd like to try and get it running on my Mid 2005 iBook but I think it's unlikely to work out.

Also, I just find it amusing that there were no posts on this board from March 2005 to 2020 when randomly posts started returning, not sure why...
I was just looking at the different icons up close on all the subforums out of boredom (I just noticed the “alternative to Mac hardware” forum with the Windows BSOD screen is a Sun Sparc system!)

Anyways I curious if Mac OS had all their own icons, unfortunately no, only 10.13 and above.
I was surprised that 10.3 had a forum on here at all! I assumed that 10.6 was the earliest one that did. It had me thinking there could be some useful threads in here that could benefit PPC hobbyists like ourselves; since the PPC Forum was obviously created much later after the Intel transition.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
10.3 is actually a good OS, but nothing runs on it, not even 104fox.. therefore - useless, but good to see how it was when it was new.

Reactions: retta283

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
10.3 is actually a good OS, but nothing runs on it, not even 104fox.. therefore - useless, but good to see how it was when it was new.
It definitely was a good OS, shame that there's a lack of support because from my usage of it it's rock-solid stable, even more so than Tiger in some cases. Obviously, Tiger affords some more hardware support for the last of the PPCs and early Intels which is a plus.

Panther-Tiger still easily the best OS X versions with Snow Leopard behind them.

Reactions: Jack Neill
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.