Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
recently i got this urge to look into ubuntu and see if it had anything to offer. i got hold of a live cd, and had no problems booting my g4 iMac. however, when i try to boot my g5 iMac, it hangs after loading the ramdisk. every time. it says it's loading ramdisk, then suddenly the screen goes blank, and it all hangs. anyone got a clue why, and what i might do to overcome it?

i'm just playing around, and it doesn't really matter. but it irritates me when something should work and doesn't. so i'd really like to be able to make it boot, just for my own satisfaction. thanks. :eek:

edit: it occurs to me i could be a little more informative -- it is Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS, and says it will boot g3,g4 and g5. it also says it is dapper drake.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
it never successfully boot into xwindow on my G3, i know its because of some moniter conf. problem with certain mac machine, you probably need to edit the conf. file by yourself during the booting process, search google for more.......

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I take it you have an iMac G5 with iSight. Although the alternative Dapper install disk (i.e. not the official one which contains bugs) works with that model, you need to patch the kernel once you get it up and running or your fans turn into wind tunnel impressionists.

I've not even bothered with the Dapper Live CD on my iMac G5. I guessed if they couldn't get the Install disk right, the Live one would be just as bad.

Apparently they are working on the problem.

homeshire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
Ohio, looking toward Germany
yep, iMac g5 iSight. just spent some time wandering around Ubuntu forums, and there are indeed posts about the incompatibility of Ubuntu 6.0.6 and the latest iMac. Problems with sound and fan control. i found a post with a "howto" to get around the problems and boot it anyway. but it got so involved with modifying config files, etc. etc. that it really defeated the purpose of wanting to just quickly play around with it, not making any commitments. guess i'll check back now and again for a definitive claim that a new iso is compatible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.