Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShinRich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
Hi All,

Got a bit of a frustrating issue here. So some time ago i did the SD card upgrade on my 5th Gen iPod Classic. At first everything was working great. However, lately I'm getting all sorts of issues.

Everytime I connect my iPod, iTunes will ask me to restore it. Then once I do, I have to sync all my playlists back to the iPod. This takes hours and I'm ok with doing all this if necessary but the issue is it seems to only let me sync a certain number of playlists and not all of them.

I counted about 4900 songs and 95 playlists. I would say that it lets me sync maybe 35 playlists. If I try to do anymore than that, absolutely no songs show up on my iPod at all. Mind you, when I check the properties of the iPod in Windows it shows that there are indeed songs on the unit but no playlists show and therefore no songs are available for playback. I even tried downgrading my iTunes to see if that was the issue and it didn't solve the issue.

Any suggestions? I hate having all this music that I can't listen to in my car because i have to pick and choose what I can put on my iPod.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I once dropped my iPod 4th gen that has an SD card upgrade in it, and the SD card adapter came loose inside of it, causing weird reboots and other issues. Have you checked to see that it's sitting in there securely still? Is the SD card you put in a good quality one? Perhaps it's only syncing some and causing them to disappear because the card isn't actually as big as it was advertised. I've heard that's a common problem with super cheap SD cards claiming large sizes and instead actually only being 8GB, for example.

ShinRich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2020
I once dropped my iPod 4th gen that has an SD card upgrade in it, and the SD card adapter came loose inside of it, causing weird reboots and other issues. Have you checked to see that it's sitting in there securely still? Is the SD card you put in a good quality one? Perhaps it's only syncing some and causing them to disappear because the card isn't actually as big as it was advertised. I've heard that's a common problem with super cheap SD cards claiming large sizes and instead actually only being 8GB, for example.
Well iTunes and Windows both see it as a 256GB drive so that's somewhat of a good sign. However, you have a good point. I'm gonna try and change the card out and see what happens. Thing is, it was working fine in the beginning and only started acting up recently.

I sooo don't want to have to spend money buying another iPod/Touch/iPhone to replace this

Reactions: Slix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.