Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple fan23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2022
My playlists are always a single album each. I used to create new playlists and the system would fill in the details automatically (on album page simply click 'add to playlist -> new playlist'). This feature seems to have disappeared, unless I am missing something? The new playlist now starts empty with some generic images at the top to choose from. Since the new playlist overlays the album info underneath, I cannot copy all the info and so end up with playlists called 'Beethoven concerto something' with no album cover. I usually move my playlists into folders (the 'Beethoven' folder for example). I know you can give playlists a cover image but that would mean I'd have to download the album cover from somewhere on google first - tedious.
How can I get the album information/metadata into new playlists?

See screenshot for an album.... looking stupid.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 05.16.20.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 05.16.20.png
    411.8 KB · Views: 73

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Yes,

Apple arbitrarily took away our ability to use album cover art for new playlists!

What the heck?

Instead of using the cover art of the first 4 songs to create a mosaic, as we have enjoyed since the beginning of iTunes, some "genius" decided to just take it away. They replaced it with lame generic covers. Apple should have at least left us the choice of selecting the album art feature as it used to work and keeping that as a default, but no!

Apple should change this so that we can continue to use album art for new playlists.

I appreciate the enhancement of giving us options to use other sources for playlist art, but they left out the critical feature - album art.

- UPDATE -

I just downloaded iPadOS 17.3 and the situation remains unchanged.

I notice that if I edit an existing playlist, there is an option for album art to the right of the photo option. For new playlists, alas, there is no option presented to use album art.

Last edited:
Reactions: apple fan23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.