Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
hi guys,

I had the Apple Music trial about 6 months ago. After it expired, I didn’t renew it until yesterday. On my iPhone and MacBook Air, all playlists and saved music is missing. On my Mac Mini, my main computer, my library is correct.

I’ve ensured on my iPhone that iCloud Music Library or whatever is enabled. Have also tried to deactivate and re-activate it.

What happens is that in my Music app, it just loads up the standard playlists (favorites, newest additions etc) and zero content.

I’m sure that I’m logged in with my right Apple ID.

And tips?

EDIT: Now all playlists and downloaded music is also gone from my Mac Mini

Last edited:

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
What's particularly garbage is that it has even deleted the playlists I had BEFORE getting Apple Music - all consisting of music stored locally on my Mac

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Just tried Spotify after a year again and every one of my saved albums and recommendations were there. I think it is stupid that AM deletes your saved profile after only a few months.

Reactions: felixen

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
if Apple kept it all forever, then what would be the duration it *could* delete ? Perhaps Apple should introduce a new option probably on the same page as "deleting your Apple ID account" called, 'temporary lock Apple account' and should apply to all services.

100% shouldn't be relying on streaming services, but unfortunately, we do.. like like everything else online.

I have copies of all Apple music stuff legal or not....

Reactions: felixen

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
It’s fair enough they don’t save them forever. But it is ridiculous that it deletes my 10 year old playlists just because they had a few Apple Music songs added to them. Then just remove the Apple Music songs and not my entire playlist. Very poor user experience

Reactions: foliovision

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Is there a way to backup any of this as a CSV file for those reading and worried like me?

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I think if before subscribing, you back up your ITunes Library configuration files in your profile, you should be OK.

What you describe, happened to me:
  • I had a number of playlists from my own music and purchased ITMS Music
  • I was getting tired of iCloud Library replacing my own tracks with its tracks - but the wrong versions (i.e. different mixes, or replacing full songs with partial songs from mixed albums)
  • So I left AM.
  • Then what happened to the OP, happened to me - I lost all of my playlists which I had to recreate
  • So I re-joined Spotify. It's way better than AM IMHO and has way way superior music suggestion
  • I didn't feedback to Apple - I'm just not buying anything else from the ITMS and am not re-subscribing to AM - so that's my feedback to them...

I understand that Apple - and the rest of the industry - feels that subscription is the way to go.

However I think that Apple make a terrible job of managing 'legacy' bought/ripped music with its streaming music service and it's caused a real mess.

With all of the Marzipan apps appearing in Mojave, I hope that they:
  • For the Mac
    • Bring Apple Music from iOS to the Mac & let it handle AM subscription content only
    • Take iTunes back to how it was in the mid 2000s i.e. it plays (and has the) iTunes Store Music and CD ripped music
    • Bring the Podcasts app to the Mac. And hopefully tweak the design as it's not that great
  • For iOS
    • Bring over a legacy iTunes player to iOS that mirrors iTunes on the Mac
    • Leave Apple Music to handle subscription music only with an option to 'import' your existing playlists/music and match them where possible

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.