Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoghouseMike

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2011
UK
It's a shame none of this stuff is available for the iPad. I feel like the iPad would offer a much better experience for these titles because of the larger and more immersive screen. Playing the phone version on an iPad would not translate well because of problems with aspect ratio and button size/positioning.

Seeing how the iPad is just being silently omitted from all of this without complaint, combined with the angry vitriol that comes up here whenever the iPad is mentioned makes me think the entire iPad line is on its way out soon. I've always loved the iPad because it's a way for me to tap into the modern mobile app ecosystem without having to squint at everything through a tiny screen. So this is pretty worrying and disappointing for me.
Aha, but with the emulators being actually allowed in the App Store now, that’s worldwide and includes the ipad, should the devs want to support it.
Most of the emulators have been kicking around outside the App Store with ipad versions for years now, so keep em peeled

Reactions: kc9hzn

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
does anyone know if saves will work on iCloud? This would be amazing if I could play on my Apple TV and then pick up the same save again on my MacBook or on my phone

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
This is a whole new level of payback by Apple to the DoJ. They are not hindering anyone's ability to play on the Mac and iOS. "We allow retro gaming."
Now DoJ -and based on your allegations against Apple- go after Nintendo, SEGA, Sony or MS if they sue Americans for hindering their ability of playing games on their Apple devices, let them be gamers or owners of ROM websites.
That's the can of worms they opened.

phenste

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Apple might as well stop with Apple Arcade, this stuff is going to blow it out of the water as a free app. No wonder they wanted to block emulators for so long.
honestly, it’s really kind of stunning to watch. EU accidentally (well, not so accidentally lmfao) gave them better offerings than AA’s ever had. emulating this kinda stuff on Apple TV is a game-changer for that device.

I also foresee some extremely convoluted arguments about E2EE between various parties, and the return of the tired, physically-impossible “give a backdoor to only the good guys!” argument, with ROMs now inevitably being stored on Apple’s servers. it almost feels as though they’ve spent years preparing for the day when some form of antitrust legislation forced them into such a position (users having illegal stuff in their Files, with it being quite the “open secret”)—now, they can simply say “sorry, we don’t, can’t, and will not scan our users’ files.” they learned the hard way from the CSAM situation how that idea makes their user base feel.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
ROMs were probably the last common reason to even bother with Android for most casual users.
I’d disagree. For the casual user, a reason to bother with Android would be cost of a handset. You can get a decent cheap handset, if you know where to look. I’m thinking of OnePlus, Lenovo and other handset makers that aren’t in cell provider stores.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Get bent, Nintendo. Emulation is fully legal unless it involves bluntly sharing copyrighted encryption keys, and even then there are legal workarounds.

Maybe if you weren't slovenly pursuing a subscription service for playing old games, you'd be able to compete. "Piracy is a service problem."
Nintendo's Switch Online service which provides access to a large number of their NES, Game Boy, and SNES titles is literally $19.99 per YEAR for a single user (or $34.99/year for an 8 user family plan). That is... pretty reasonable as far as subscriptions go. Many users spend as much on in-app currency in a single purchase.

salz4life

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Fox Lake, IL
There are two games I really want to play again. RC Pro Am from the NES and River Raid from the Atari 2600. I need to learn how to get ROMs literally for these games. LOL

Armada2

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Apple might as well stop with Apple Arcade, this stuff is going to blow it out of the water as a free app. No wonder they wanted to block emulators for so long.
I actually think Apple is doing this on purpose and allow to release Emulators etc to the App store so it causes chaos for other companies and want to complain to EU and cant win as EU asked Apple to open the gates.. so Apple will let it flood.. so they can say I told you so

aloysiusfreeman

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2022
Not sure if any of the MacRumors writers look here for correcting their articles, but GameCube and Wii (unfortunately) will not be an available emulator due to JIT being prohibited.

It'll help not get others hopes up :(

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Nintendo's Switch Online service which provides access to a large number of their NES, Game Boy, and SNES titles is literally $19.99 per YEAR for a single user (or $34.99/year for an 8 user family plan). That is... pretty reasonable as far as subscriptions go. Many users spend as much on in-app currency in a single purchase.
When it comes to subscriptions I'm reminded of the wise words of C. Montgomery Burns when confronted with the chance to exchange eternal happiness for a single dollar: "I'd be happier with the dollar."

Reactions: pavelbure

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Hoping for GeForce Now with keyboard and mouse support for Apple TV and iOS.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
Huh. I wonder how this will work on AppleTV. There's no persistent user-accessible storage, so where will your ROMs go? Will you have to put them in Dropbox (or similar) and then enter a URL into the app so that it can download them on-demand?

I really wish Apple would let us use the storage space we paid for on our AppleTVs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.