Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Unlike lagdroid I genuinely don’t have any issues where if I don’t update, I suffer.

I’m hoping it won’t come to that but I despise some of these changes.
Had too many Android devices that never received an OS update. Or took ages and received one.
They push them out the door and there's no money in long term support.
Apple devices get years of updates, are built to last (I turned on a original iPad yesterday and it still charges and boots with it's old school interface and low res screen and still works fast enough to be usable).

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Must be hurting some that Apple flipped on game emulators and loading ROMs because those alt app stores now have little use to 99% of people who demanded Apple open up side loading.

Isn't this a side effect of the DMA? Now Apple has to compete with other app marketplaces, so they decided to allow emulators to take away that competitive edge.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

AlumaMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2018
What is this patchwork garbage? OpenEmu needs to step up to the plate here. Please?

I wouldn’t hold my breath. OpenEmu development is slower than molasses…not even AS native. The latest update killed all keyboard input on my install no matter how many times/ways I give it “permission”.

Reactions: kc9hzn and synonys

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Isn't this a side effect of the DMA? Now Apple has to compete with other app marketplaces, so they decided to allow emulators to take away that competitive edge.
but Apple wont be competing (for 99% of people).

The DMA wont increase competition.
Doing a backflip now on this means VERY FEW people will have a need to go to an Alt App Store ;)
So by using force, the EU have left Apple with no option really - and it will play into Apple's hands very nicely.
The backflip, add this new category, keep existing people using the official app store and when the ROM owners get upset, they can blame the EU.

The really interesting part will be when Nintendo and co start chasing down ROM sites.
Perhaps they will actually do the right thing and SELL them thru the App Store?
Everyone would be happy then...

Reactions: LavaLevel

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
but Apple wont be competing (for 99% of people).

Doing a backflip now on this means VERY FEW people will have a need to go to an Alt App Store ;)
So by using force, the EU have left Apple with no option really - and it will play into Apple's hands very nicely.
The backflip, add this new category, keep existing people using the official app store and when the ROM owners get upset, they can blame the EU.

The really interesting part will be when Nintendo and co start chasing down ROM sites.
Perhaps they will actually do the right thing and SELL them thru the App Store?
Everyone would be happy then...

You...see how this is an effect of a competitive market, right?

It's simple. Apple did not allow emulators in their store. Other stores did. Now Apple does as well, in order to remain competitive.

Reactions: AppliedMicro

salz4life

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2019
Fox Lake, IL
Nintendo's Switch Online service which provides access to a large number of their NES, Game Boy, and SNES titles is literally $19.99 per YEAR for a single user (or $34.99/year for an 8 user family plan). That is... pretty reasonable as far as subscriptions go. Many users spend as much on in-app currency in a single purchase.
It's a fine service but it's lacking some games I want to play.

Reactions: kc9hzn

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Must be hurting some that Apple flipped on game emulators and loading ROMs because those alt app stores now have little use to 99% of people who demanded Apple open up side loading.
Hurting? 😂

I think you’ve now rehashed that take multiple times in various threads. But you must be living in an alternate reality. All I can read on this forum (well, the overwhelming majority anyway) is enthusiasm about it.

Apple preempted looming competition.

Doing a backflip now on this means VERY FEW people will have a need to go to an Alt App Store
Great. So some people can get the apps they want (and wanted for a long time). More choice and utility for consumers.

👉 Look, if Apple are allowing/offering things people want under competitive terms, I have zero gripes with that. Even if it’s just the looming threat of competition that makes them do it.

Last edited:

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
It's a fine service but it's lacking some games I want to play.
It has gotten better in recent years, most of the games I’d want to play are on it. But there will always be some niche title that I may want to revisit at some point that’ll just never end up on the service (lately, it’s the NES ports of the Wizardry series, the music on that one was the soundtrack to [parts of] my misspent youth!).

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
You...see how this is an effect of a competitive market, right?

It's simple. Apple did not allow emulators in their store. Other stores did. Now Apple does as well, in order to remain competitive.
It's not competition at all that drove this.

EU forced things open and Apple had to RESPOND.

The clever thing was their response hasnt been well received because the EU directive was so vague in it's language.
The second clever thing was simply backflipping on a moral stance that game emulators allow piracy to now allowing them because the EU was enabling sideloading of things like game emulators meant Apple could no longer be seen as bad for flipping. It was going to happen.

In doing so, Apple effectively allowed the one thing 99% of side loaders wanted. ;)

Which now means most people have no need or desire to use the alt app stores...

EU played their hand.
But there wasnt enough there to win this time.

Oh and Spotify laid off 20% of staff and still not profitable after realising some of those staff actually did some jobs that were needed to run a business. And put prices up. And cut pay outs... Ah but adding a link externally was going to make it flourish. LOL.

Last edited:

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
It's not competition at all that drove this.

EU forced things open and Apple had to RESPOND.

The clever thing was their response hasnt been well received because the EU directive was so vague in it's language.
The second clever thing was simply backflipping on a moral stance that game emulators allow piracy to now allowing them because the EU was enabling sideloading of things like game emulators meant Apple could no longer be seen as bad for flipping. It was going to happen.

In doing so, Apple effectively allowed the one thing 99% of side loaders wanted. ;)

Which now means most people have no need or desire to use the alt app stores...

EU played their hand.
But there wasnt enough there to win this time.

Oh and Spotify laid off 20% of staff and still not profitable after realising some of those staff actually did some jobs that were needed to run a business. And put prices up. And cut pay outs... Ah but adding a link externally was going to make it flourish. LOL.

Yes. When the market changes, and the business responds, that's the effect of the market. I don't see what you're saying is any different than what I'm saying.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
For those with multiple devices, the App Store’s benefit of being able to purchase once and have the same executable work on iPad/iPhone/Mac/Apple Vision still wins though. I’m guessing Apple saw an opportunity to “approve” this type of application to drive home that fact.

Plus, in order to use any of the app marketplaces, the user has to have an Apple device, so, Apple STILL wins.

Reactions: kc9hzn and wbeasley

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Yes. When the market changes, and the business responds, that's the effect of the market. I don't see what you're saying is any different than what I'm saying.
There was no market change. It was a legislative change that forced changes.

Apple didn’t have to allow game emulators.
The alt app stores were going to do it.

So there was no force. It was voluntary.

They could always have allowed it. They chose not to.

Allowing it now means they have mostly thwarted any reason for most people to try an alt App Store.

There is a difference between market force and legislation. And even just playing smart and outwitting the EU.

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
Legitimate question from a non-owner: how do you put files (ROMS in the context of this convo) onto the AppleTV? It’s a piece of cake with a Fire Stick, which is what I use currently.
You transfer them via the web. For example, in the Provenance emulator for Apple TV, you open for transfers in the app, where you are presented with a link that you can visit from your computer, iPad, etc. (on the same network)

When you visit the link, you will be presented with a folder structure where you simply "drag n drop" your ROM files, and cover art files if you want to add them as well. The games automatically pops up in the emulator app on your Apple TV and they are ready to be played. Very simple.

Reactions: kc9hzn and wbeasley

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
You transfer them via the web. For example, in the Provenance emulator for Apple TV, you open for transfers in the app, where you are presented with a link that you can visit from your computer, iPad, etc. (on the same network)

When you visit the link, you will be presented with a folder structure where you simply "drag n drop" your ROM files, and cover art files if you want to add them as well. The games automatically pops up in the emulator app on your Apple TV and they are ready to be played. Very simple.
Thank you!

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Did. I the do bring 6000+ GitHub take down notices today?

Guess the allowing emulators and alt app stores effect from Eau was going to kick in soon.

Grab those ROMs before they’re gone…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.