Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Actually Torrents are pretty secure if you know where to find the best links and more environmentally friendly than hosting things on a server!

I have a feeling things might be different this time.

Depends of what people are torrenting and how malware makers target a specific crowd. Adobe apps on torrents are known to have keyloggers. It’s how those NFTs kept getting stolen. The so called “artists” not only wanted free money but also free apps and they paid for it in the end.

Reactions: LavaLevel

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Granted I’m on an iPhone now, but I haven’t used an Android phone that was laggy since the Galaxy S3 (that’s S “Three”, not a typo) fixed that issue.
Androids always been laggy but it’s slightly less worse in newer models. On higher end it isn’t laggy so much as clunky compared to iOS smoothness.

Reactions: wbeasley

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Androids always been laggy but it’s slightly less worse in newer models. On higher end it isn’t laggy so much as clunky compared to iOS smoothness.
I have Samsung A model.
I use it for light control on the deck and Spotify (or did until I unsubbed)

So slow to boot up.
So slow to find Bluetooth speakers at times.
Constantly telling me Spotify is offline.

It is an absolute crap “mid range” phone.
Thank goodness it never made a phone call ever

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I have Samsung A model.
I use it for light control on the deck and Spotify (or did until I unsubbed)

So slow to boot up.
So slow to find Bluetooth speakers at times.
Constantly telling me Spotify is offline.

It is an absolute crap “mid range” phone.
Thank goodness it never made a phone call ever

I used to work for a major us phone carrier and sold a lot of the A series and while the phone is okay for its price point it’s a shame that even in 2024 they are still crap.

Older iPhones with weaker specs run circles around newer midrange android devices.

That’s why the argument “android doesn’t lag” that a lot of android fans try to make is ridiculous. I shouldn’t have to spend $800 or more to get a good enough android experience.

Even on higher end android the performance is questionable unless you get completely unmodified android but hopefully they will support or google won’t drop features lol

The fact I can still use an iPhone SE 2020 in 2024 and it performs well enough and can hold its own in many cases but a new mid range android experience is terrible is shameful.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
This is a whole new level of payback by Apple to the DoJ. They are not hindering anyone's ability to play on the Mac and iOS. "We allow retro gaming."
Not sure if I‘d call it a payback, when the DMA sued them for not allowing super-app that could load mini-apps (similarly to retro emulators).
I actually think Apple is doing this on purpose and allow to release Emulators etc to the App store so it causes chaos for other companies and want to complain to EU and cant win as EU asked Apple to open the gates.. so Apple will let it flood.. so they can say I told you so
Apple are only as narrowly complying with EU law as they have so - and sometimes arguably not even that. I think this is at least in part also a response to the DOJ lawsuit.
I came to iOS because it was not lagdroid and it’s slowly making me annoyed. I guess I’ll be one of those ppl when the time comes who never updates because they prefer older version.
Apple will force you to update eventually.
They already do it today, if you have any issue with your device.
Besides that, it’s bad security practice.

• Haha

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Delta is ONLY available by an alt-store, though. Can developers offer an app on an alt store and the official store in the EU at the same time?
They can.

Apple just discourages free-to-download apps to do it by taxing them with their anticompetitive CTF („Competition Taxation Fee“).

• Haha

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The term side loading doesn’t apply to desktop systems. They are a completely different process. Nobody in the whole of computing industry ever said ‘Let’s sideload Office on Windows/macOS’.
And that‘s the way it should be on mobile systems too.

Cause the process of installing apps isn‘t any different. It‘s the the same. It‘s just that OS developers have chosen to restrict distribution of third-party apps by digital certificate signing.

• Haha

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
And that‘s the way it should be on mobile systems too.

Cause the process of installing apps isn‘t any different. It‘s the the same. It‘s just that OS developers have chosen to restrict distribution of third-party apps by digital certificate signing.

Every pig butchering scam victim is tricked into downloading fake finance apps on their Android phones. Their money is then stolen by criminals in Myanmar, Russia or North Korea. The crypto they steal from victims is sold at a discount on the black markets to tech bros in the west. The profits fund regimes who will conduct warfare against other states. They will buy up your politicians via intermediaries in Dubai. They launder their dirty money in your property markets and make life unaffordable for you.

Unsigned apps and side loading has huge effects. We don’t live in the 90s anymore. Today’s scams and cyber exploits result in bloody warfare, human trafficking and erosion of freedoms.

It requires an extreme ignorance to say ‘yeah I want unsigned apps and side loading absolutely nothing can go wrong’.

There is already plenty of knowledge that these scams exist but because populations are very high, because the net is very wide, because many tech CEOs are friends with criminals, and because scammers are extremely smart the danger remains forever.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
We don’t live in the 90s anymore. Today’s scams and cyber exploits result in bloody warfare, human trafficking and erosion of freedoms.
We don't live in the 90s anymore.
But your exaggerated argument still does (well... up until the point you mention "crypto" assets)

Every pig butchering scam victim is tricked into downloading fake finance apps on their Android phones
No. Investment scams certainly don't require fake finance apps.
They have existed since before the advent of the smartphone.

It requires an extreme ignorance to say ‘yeah I want unsigned apps and side loading absolutely nothing can go wrong’.
It requires an extreme ignorance to say "Yeah, a reviewer at Apple spent five minutes reviewing that app, so it must be legit'. Nothing can go wrong."

Particularly if you're "investing" or conducting transactions in "crypto" assets.
People need to do their due diligence.
And apps are only a very small part of it.

👉
If your argument is to be taken serious and followed, it's an argument for shutting down the entire internet (!).
Or at least prohibit all financial transactions by consumers from being conducted through it as "consumer protection".

Making it about sideloading is misleading.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
We don't live in the 90s anymore.
But your exaggerated argument still does (well... up until the point you mention "crypto" assets)

No. Investment scams certainly don't require fake finance apps.
They have existed since before the advent of the smartphone.

It requires an extreme ignorance to say "Yeah, a reviewer at Apple spent five minutes reviewing that app, so it must be legit'. Nothing can go wrong."

Particularly if you're "investing" or conducting transactions in "crypto" assets.
People need to do their due diligence.
And apps are only a very small part of it.

👉
If your argument is to be taken serious and followed, it's an argument for shutting down the entire internet (!).
Or at least prohibit all financial transactions by consumers from being conducted through it as "consumer protection".

Making it about sideloading is misleading.

You’re an absolutely perfect example of a future scam victim. Chef’s kiss level.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I think they’re shrewdly using emulators to show the pain points of regulating iOS separately from the other OS’s (all of which have small marketshare in the EU region). Even though Delta is available worldwide, in the EU one can’t get it from the official App Store. One has to first buy the alternate App Store and THEN download it. Even after that, one then can’t use it on the iPad or the Mac or Apple Vision the way some folks are doing outside the region.

So, for those that want to avoid alternate stores AND download Delta, there’s no solution for folks in the EU.

Delta is ONLY available by an alt-store, though. Can developers offer an app on an alt store and the official store in the EU at the same time?

I do not know why its not in the EU official Apple App Store, but I am on the US and its in there. No need for alt-store.

I don't think you buy alt-stores, you just download them.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Seems @wbeasley ran out of his daily allocation of downvotes again ;)
You’re an absolutely perfect example of a future scam victim
🤣

Quite the contrary, I do my due diligence. Both personally and at work.

Look, even if Android phone manufacturers or Google instituted a strict ban on sideloading, it wouldn‘t rid the world of crypto pig butchering or other investment scams - cause there are still websites and internet browsers. And gullible people that use them. Or: scammers that orchestrate their scams through legitimate apps. Such scams don’t depend on apps.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
They can.

Apple just discourages free-to-download apps to do it by taxing them with their anticompetitive CTF („Competition Taxation Fee“).
Then, the developers behind Delta are lying because they said Apple won’t allow them to release Delta on the App Store.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I do not know why its not in the EU official Apple App Store, but I am on the US and its in there. No need for alt-store.

I don't think you buy alt-stores, you just download them.
The Alt-Store in the EU is the only way they’re making it available. And, in order to obtain the Alt-Store, they’ charge for it. Maybe they don’t HAVE to charge for it, but, just like Apple, I guess they recognize running a store (even a store that they put little effort into as a big chunk of the infrastructure is what Apple built) costs money?

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Then, the developers behind Delta are lying because they said Apple won’t allow them to release Delta on the App Store.
„Developers operating under the new business terms will have the option to distribute their iOS apps from the App Store and/or alternative app marketplaces“

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024...fari-and-the-app-store-in-the-european-union/

And their fee calculator allows you to set a percentage split between „App Store with IAP“ and „Alternative marketplaces and payments“ accordingly.

PS: I don’t think the developers are lying. It seems they just haven’t updated their website yet, since Apple began allowing emulators in their own store (and developer terms).

Last edited:

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Seems @wbeasley ran out of his daily allocation of downvotes again ;)

🤣

Quite the contrary, I do my due diligence. Both personally and at work.

Look, even if Android phone manufacturers or Google instituted a strict ban on sideloading, it wouldn‘t rid the world of crypto pig butchering or other investment scams - cause there are still websites and internet browsers. And gullible people that use them. Or: scammers that orchestrate their scams through legitimate apps. Such scams don’t depend on apps.

Crime prevention is a thing and you should absolutely put brute force anger at everyone who doesn’t lift a finger to protect people.

You might have “due diligence” but all around you are your friends, family and employers. All of them are targets. When they are exploited badly you are a victim too.

Or do you live in a little bubble?

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Apple will force you to update eventually.
They already do it today, if you have any issue with your device.
Besides that, it’s bad security practice.

Unlike lagdroid I genuinely don’t have any issues where if I don’t update, I suffer.

I’m hoping it won’t come to that but I despise some of these changes.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I thought these needed JIT? Wonder how they intend to get around that.

Still, definitely looking forward to this! Wonder if we'll see PojavLauncher come to iOS; it'd be really nice to be able to play Java Minecraft on my iPad Pro.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Not run out of down votes... I choose posts I disagree with to use those.
The laugh response is a more perfect response to certain posts. ;)

Must be hurting some that Apple flipped on game emulators and loading ROMs because those alt app stores now have little use to 99% of people who demanded Apple open up side loading... the hard core few can still use these stores, which are going to cost money to set up and run and now have lost their biggest customer type and appeal. The success of the EU action seems to have soured.

Wonder if Spotify is out of financial strife since they can direct people to pay in app? Hahaha.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.