Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batemanj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, apologies if I posted in wrong section.

I have an Iphone 6s plus with IOS 12.0 and fully backed up to my laptop using iTunes (not using Icloud backup)

My wife has iphone 6s with IOS 12.0 and fully backed up to her laptop using iTunes (not using Icloud backup).

We would like to interchange our iphones (SIMs also move) but not sure how can we do that. Could anyone please advise the correct procedure to do that.

Both are NOT jail-broken and not under warranty.

Many thanks!!

batemanj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Sorry If I was not clear.
We need to interchange just devices.
After change we will have like:-
1) My wife will have 6s plus with her SIM and with her data.
2) I will have 6s with my SIM and with my own data.

There's no icloud backup but we have itunes. So I was just wondering if I could swap SIMs and then connect 6s plus to her laptop and restore from itunes. If it goes smooth then connect 6s to my laptop itunes and restore. Will this work?

Thanks!

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, apologies if I posted in wrong section.

I have an Iphone 6s plus with IOS 12.0 and fully backed up to my laptop using iTunes (not using Icloud backup)

My wife has iphone 6s with IOS 12.0 and fully backed up to her laptop using iTunes (not using Icloud backup).

We would like to interchange our iphones (SIMs also move) but not sure how can we do that. Could anyone please advise the correct procedure to do that.

Both are NOT jail-broken and not under warranty.

Many thanks!!

Just restore both devices then swap sims and restore from backup.

batemanj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2018
Just restore both devices then swap sims and restore from backup.

Could you please elaborate on which method I should use for "restore"? is it from itunes restore method or using home+sleep buttons combo?

Appreciate detailed reply as I've never done this before. Thanks!

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Could you please elaborate on which method I should use for "restore"? is it from itunes restore method or using home+sleep buttons combo?

Appreciate detailed reply as I've never done this before. Thanks!

You’re wanting the 6s so just swap your sim into that phone then plug it into iTunes and restore it to wipe it. Once that’s done restore it from your old backup to get all your info onto it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Easy.
1. First of all, on each of your phones, do a final backup FIRST, then disable find my iPhone, iMessage, Facetime, and erase all settings and content (reset each device).
2. Swap the SIM
3. Now start your wife's 6S, it will activate like a new iPhone. Have it restore from YOUR iTunes backup.
4. On your 6S Plus, it will also be like a new iPhone after the reset. Have your wife restore HER backup to it.
5. That should be it.

Reactions: doboy

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
After backup (best if encrypted password), disassociate the phones from iCloud (turn off find my iPhone and sign out under settings/your name), then reset all settings. When restart, you should be able to restore from backup.

Also, ensure that both phones are at the same iOS level. You can't restore from a newer version of iOS, and it is just additional complexity to upgrade the phone at this time then restore later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.