Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dante Rising

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
Really need some help from the veterans on this forum. I'm trying to surprise my son and add a library of books to our ipad. Ordinarily I would use the file transfer function in itunes. I recently updated Itunes to the latest Windows version, and now it no longer has the device icon in the far corner, so I cannot access the ipad in itunes for file transfers. A few notes:

-Device manager is windows 10 properly shows "Apple Ipad" under portable devices. Under properties, it says the most recent drivers are loaded.
-The Ipad is charging.
-When I attach the ipad, it chimes, and a new window opens on Windows, showing "Apple Ipad Internal Storage"
-I reset the ipad and "trusted device" option.
-Currently running the latest software version on the ipad. 17.4
-I've restarted the computer, restarted the ipad, etc.
-I've tried two different apple branded USB cords, and two different usb ports.
-Uninstalled\Reinstalled Itunes in case there was an issue with the initial update

I cannot fathom how Windows is properly identifying the device, but I cannot access it on Itunes. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Perhaps you could try the Apple Devices app instead? There are replacement Windows apps for iTunes for Windows now.

Reactions: sparksd

nitrobear

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2024
Really need some help from the veterans on this forum. I'm trying to surprise my son and add a library of books to our ipad. Ordinarily I would use the file transfer function in itunes. I recently updated Itunes to the latest Windows version, and now it no longer has the device icon in the far corner, so I cannot access the ipad in itunes for file transfers. A few notes:

-Device manager is windows 10 properly shows "Apple Ipad" under portable devices. Under properties, it says the most recent drivers are loaded.
-The Ipad is charging.
-When I attach the ipad, it chimes, and a new window opens on Windows, showing "Apple Ipad Internal Storage"
-I reset the ipad and "trusted device" option.
-Currently running the latest software version on the ipad. 17.4
-I've restarted the computer, restarted the ipad, etc.
-I've tried two different apple branded USB cords, and two different usb ports.
-Uninstalled\Reinstalled Itunes in case there was an issue with the initial update

I cannot fathom how Windows is properly identifying the device, but I cannot access it on Itunes. Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
It may sound dumb, but I can't get any of my apple devices to work on my AMD desktop nor AMD laptop unless I use an external USB hub. There's something in AMD's internal USB controller that just doesn't play nice with Apple's drivers and they go crazy.

Dante Rising

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2013
Perhaps you could try the Apple Devices app instead? There are replacement Windows apps for iTunes for Windows now.
This Apple Devices app seems to have worked. Thank you! Initially it had the same problem as Itunes, but after a reboot it appears to be working. Ironically, when I transferred the ebooks directly to the app under "Files" it gave an error along the lines of "Files were not transferred because they are incompatible with this device". (They ARE compatible with the program on the Ipad) but they actually DID transfer, appeared in the app, and load properly on the Ipad.

Thank you for this info. I didn't know there even was an Apple Devices App. If anyone happens to know what the problem may be in Itunes, I would appreciate some added insight. I would still prefer to use that, but beggars can't be choosers.

Ah, and regarding the post immediately above, my hardware is all Intel/Nvidia based. Thank you again.

• Love
Reactions: nitrobear

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
If anyone happens to know what the problem may be in Itunes, I would appreciate some added insight. I would still prefer to use that

I was experiencing the same and in my case, the "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" was missing.
Take a look if you have a Drivers folder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support that you can manually point Device Manager to.
If not, I've attached it for your convenience if you want to install it from a total stanger.
[DriverVer=05/19/2017,6.0.9999.69 from AppleMobileDeviceSupport64_17.0.0.28_Drivers of iTunes64Setup_12.13.1.3]
Otherwise, here's how to get it yourself:

All PCs were running the same iTunes 12.13.1.3 on Windows 10.

PCs that don't work:
- previously never had iTunes or Mobile Device Support installed
- trigger the popup "Allow this device to acces photos and videos?" on the iPad

PCs that do work:
- were updated from a previous iTunes install
- trigger the popup "Trust This Computer?" on the iPad

Although all PCs should have been on the identical Mobile Device Support 17.0.0.28 that is included in the iTunes 12.13.1.3 package, the PCs that didn't work were missing the Drivers subfolder in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support.

So I took the "iTunes64Setup" (12.13.1.3) downloaded from https://www.apple.com/itunes/
and unzipped it into C:\temp to get the "AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi" with version "17.0.0.28"
Then extracted that with:
msiexec /a C:\temp\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64.msi /qb TARGETDIR=C:\temp\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64

Now there is the missing Drivers folder in:
C:\temp\AppleMobileDeviceSupport64\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

To install the Apple drivers for the iPad:
Windows Device Manager > Portable Devices > Apple iPad > Properties > Driver > Driver Details > Choose a location to search for drivers point to extracted "Drivers" location.

Attachments

• AppleMobileDeviceSupport64_17.0.0.28_Drivers.zip
    5.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.