Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Disappointed that when Apple went all in with context menus almost on par with Macs is when they have removed 3D Touch, which is particularly useful for long press actions being mixed with context menus, like rearranging safari tabs or files.

I can’t be the only one 😭

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
3D Touch is my favourite software feature on an iPhone. Not only has Apple discontinued it, they killed it on those devices in which it was available. It’s never coming back, but it shouldn’t have been killed.

Signed: an iPhone 6s on iOS 10 user.

Reactions: Howard Brazee

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Don’t get the complaints, holding down the button has exactly the same functionality, am i missing something?

Reactions: orionquest

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Don’t get the complaints, holding down the button has exactly the same functionality, am i missing something?
Yes. Peek and Pop is gone, you can’t open the multitasking bar from the left, the cursor function is completely nerfed, text selection was destroyed, and it is far slower.

Apple’s iOS updates being the malware that they are, not only did that happen, but devices with 3D Touch themselves had the feature slowed down. It is a lot slower now, even on devices with the actual pressure sensitive display, after iOS 13.

I’m sure I’m forgetting about some other feature that was removed as well...

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Yes. Peek and Pop is gone, you can’t open the multitasking bar from the left, the cursor function is completely nerfed, text selection was destroyed, and it is far slower.

Apple’s iOS updates being the malware that they are, not only did that happen, but devices with 3D Touch themselves had the feature slowed down. It is a lot slower now, even on devices with the actual pressure sensitive display, after iOS 13.

I’m sure I’m forgetting about some other feature that was removed as well...

Peak and pop is still there (just tried it), multitasking is now done using the swipe gestures at the bottom and is much easier, and the moving cursor still works when you hold down on the space bar.

Slower? Seriously? It’s like a millisecond difference.

Reactions: orionquest

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Peak and pop is still there (just tried it), multitasking is now done using the swipe gestures at the bottom and is much easier, and the moving cursor still works when you hold down on the space bar.

Peek and Pop is not there. You have to tap afterwards. Multitasking can be done by swiping on newer iPhones, good luck doing it on an iPhone 8. You can’t select text as fluidly or as easily with that cursor.

It’s not unusably slow... but if it worked immediately, why should it be slower on devices that do have 3D Touch, for no reason at all?

It went from something that just worked as intended, to something with reduced functionality and many compromises on those things that worked... for no reason.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Post is for reactions, press and hold works just fine.
Yeah, not really noticing any difference between pressing/holding on icons on my 6s+ and my 11 Pro Max. And 3D Touch is on with my 6s+.

Is there supposed to be a difference?

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Yeah, not really noticing any difference between pressing/holding on icons on my 6s+ and my 11 Pro Max. And 3D Touch is on with my 6s+.

If your 6S+ is on a newer OS, they nerfed 3D Touch.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

Yes! iOS 9 through 12 are far faster at toggling the Quick Actions menu.

iOS 13 onwards nerfed it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If your 6S+ is on a newer OS, they nerfed 3D Touch.
Huh?

iPhone 6s+, iOS 15.7.5

2023-04-29 07.37.26.jpg

2023-04-29 07.31.07.png

2023-04-29 07.31.48.jpg

2023-04-29 07.31.57.jpg

2023-04-29 07.32.02.jpg

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 16.4.1

2023-04-29 07.34.45.jpg

Am I missing something?

2023-04-29 07.33.23.jpg

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Yes, they disabled a lot of the features in an update. It’s still listed as a setting, but it doesn’t work the way it did pre iOS 13, sadly. They did the same with the Apple Watch then.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, they disabled a lot of the features in an update. It’s still listed as a setting, but it doesn’t work the way it did pre iOS 13, sadly. They did the same with the Apple Watch then.
OK, thank you. I guess perhaps that because I never really USED 3D Touch I have not missed any of the nuances of it.

For the record, I've only really started using these popout menus in the last month or so and I've been using iPhone since Christmas 2011.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
OK, thank you. I guess perhaps that because I never really USED 3D Touch I have not missed any of the nuances of it.

For the record, I've only really started using these popout menus in the last month or so and I've been using iPhone since Christmas 2011.
Peek and Pop doesn’t work, you can’t select text through 3D Touching the cursor, it’s far slower, you can’t open the multitasking menu by pressing the edge with 3D Touch.

That’s as far as I can remember, I’m sure there are some more I’m forgetting.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016

For me, it's not only just speeds that add up, its the additional steps.

I prefer to use tap on trackpad instead of pressing in. It doesn't seem like much or a big deal at all, but it does matter. Long pressing to access context menus would be a nightmare on macOS, so I'm glad a right click exist. 3D Touch was a good alternative because it was as instant as right clicking and required less movement.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I agree with you but I believe, as others have said, it’s gone for good.
I have to agree with you. The problem was it was a feature that added cost to the iPhone, but very few people used. In the world were consumers are really price conscious, Apple is trying to keep the price low as possible while still giving people what they want. Apple can see what people are doing with their phones. This is true at least for those that enable usage statistics.

We can blame Apple for not marketing 3D Touch sufficiently or perhaps people just didn’t care to use it but either way, I don’t think we’ll see it again in the near future. I’m in the camp that would like to see it back, but I know that’s not going to happen.

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.