Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
If apple care's about UI consistency then they need to also incorporate this into iOS as well. I have been using dark mode in Mojave and it's absolutely beautiful and gorgeous. I would love to see this in iOS as well.

Reactions: Breezygirl and Feyl

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reactions: hlfway2anywhere

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
What I never see anyone discussing is the fact dark mode doesn't work depending on the site. At least this is how it behaved in my PC (using all browsers and an extension like "Night Mode Pro") and Firefox for iOS.

There are some sites which will hide the contents (not all from the page - partially *) if we enable dark mode.

* And when that happens it will become invisible, unless YOU disable dark mode. It's annoying and only affects a few websites.

I explained here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-mode-and-tab-features.2132260/#post-26344957

And here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...t-night-black-background-for-reading.2051591/

Why dark mode it's relevant (for our health). However I think this shortcoming might be one reason why they haven't implemented in Safari for iOS.

btj

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Go to:

General-Accessibility-Accessibility Shortcut

Enable “Smart Invert Colors”

Once you do that, 3 rapid clicks of the right side button will go between dark mode and regular mode.

Works with most stuff though some apps are not optimized for it and will show the negative version of images.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go to:

Once you do that, 3 rapid clicks of the right side button will go between dark mode and regular mode.

Works with most stuff though some apps are not optimized for it and will show the negative version of images.
Not quite actual "dark mode" but a workaround of sorts.

Reactions: 212rikanmofo

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I agree with the OP in that dark mode on my MacBook is fantastic. I know we've been asking about dark mode on iOS for years. It's probably coming, it's just a matter of when.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Go to:

Smart Invert is awful and far from being true dark mode.

btj

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
Smart Invert is awful and far from being true dark mode.
Yup. But it’s as close as you’re going to get. Personally I don’t particularly care about dark mode so it makes no difference to me whether or not Apple releases an “actual” dark mode.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yup. But it’s as close as you’re going to get. Personally I don’t particularly care about dark mode so it makes no difference to me whether or not Apple releases an “actual” dark mode.
Well, it's as close as we can get so far essentially.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I didn’t like dark mode on Mac OS the first day or two... but once I got used to it.. I love it. Especially with the new ascent colors.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
Dark mode will become more popular the more people are aware of the harm these devices can do.

We already have Screen Time and other initiatives, so it's not far fetched to think dark mode will be available everywhere in the near future.

I remember 10, 20 years ago we had people warning webmasters to not use white in the background... and CRTs to use more than 60 Hz to avoid eye strain.

Looks like we have not learned anything and continue to do the same mistakes.

Last edited:

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Next best thing is smart invert on an OLED iPhone (even a non OLED, can be better to read at night on those devices too)

its not perfect but to have it activated quickly via the triple click on your iPhone X, really helps with battery and reading at night.

----

Smart invert "feels" better on the LCD iPhones though, as for some reason it doesn't make the home screen crazy blue and desaturate the colours. It "feels" better on the LCD iPhones, but functionally works and looks better on the OLED devices (better battery life and true blacks)

Unfortunately, this is the best we'll get on iOS for some time yet. I bet next year, we'll get a true dark mode. Apple will apply the same logic for our phones. And it will really benefit the OLED devices for battery life. With smart invert, a day of light use will get me to 50% or so on my X, whereas a day of light use with smart invert and a black background will only get me to 70%. Its pretty awesome, and I have gone 3 days before without charging it.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
iOS13 - Dark Mode Safari
iOS 14 - Dark Mode Dock
iOS 15- Dark Mode Messages
iOS 16 - Dark Mode Phone
iOS 17 - Dark Mode System Wide - we can't milk this anymore

Or... more likely:

iOS 13 - dark mode
iOS 14 - light mode
iOS 15 - a mixture of dark and light mode
iOS 16 - dark mode returns except for a few areas
iOS 17 - dark mode abandoned

iOS 25 - the most powerful mobile operating system ever made... now with cutting edge dark mode

:rolleyes:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Having tried it on my Mac I have no interest in dark mode - but that is me.

Me neither. Bright text on a dark background can be a problem for ageing eyes, and is starting to affect me.

It is great for some people, but terrible for others. I am happy the option is there for those that want it, as long as it is an option.

p.s. As you can see on my avatar, I have light text on a dark background, but I have been careful to mute the contrast (it is my company logo on a zoomed in bit of the background for my next game).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
OSX has gained support for this feature but will iOS ever get this too?
This comes up a lot. My response is always that Dark Mode does not align with Apple's vision for iOS.

So, my answer to your question is no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.