Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tma888

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
At the mall right now having lunch and saw a young guy with the Airpods on his ears..
The moment I saw it, I was flabbergasted!
The stem of the Airpods sticks out too long it looks hideous.
If apple only made it a bit shorter, it would have been acceptable.
Kindly pardon me personal opinion. Please dont get me wrong as I am
also excited about the airpods technology and convenience together with
the iphone but I could not take the thought of me wearing these things.

Please dont hate. :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Well for me I would rather the air pods stick out if it meant great bluetooth connection which is was needed i felt for the connection to be this great. I will wear this as it fits my needs if people think it looks bad well thats up to them at the end of the day. I certainly wouldn't spend money on products to worry about what other people do.

tma888

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
Well for me I would rather the air pods stick out if it meant great bluetooth connection which is was needed i felt for the connection to be this great. I will wear this as it fits my needs if people think it looks bad well thats up to them at the end of the day. I certainly wouldn't spend money on products to worry about what other people do.

Point well taken Sir.
I know that the tech and the convenience is primary. Maybe Im just more in awe on how it looked seeing it for the first time.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Point well taken Sir.
I know that the tech and the convenience is primary. Maybe Im just more in awe on how it looked seeing it for the first time.
Well it will take time for people to get used to them for sure. People will look twice alot I imagine but the more people wear them and the more it's advertised on TV the more I guess people will accept the look.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
So the same headphones with wires looks perfectly normal right? Pretty soon seeing them without wires will look normal too. A lot of people are going to be wearing these. You'll get used to it.

There have been some fashions that have been "hideous". These though are a joke. Overly gimmicky.
Wires act like a connector or leash. I don't see myself trail running with these.
My opinion.

Reactions: tma888

tma888

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
So the same headphones with wires looks perfectly normal right? Pretty soon seeing them without wires will look normal too. A lot of people are going to be wearing these. You'll get used to it.

Well, the wired ones look more "normal" just like the millions of other wired earphones out there. Maybe its just new to me that's why I am really surprised. Hopefully it grows on me because I also want to experience the tech and convenience of the airpods. Hopefully...

;)

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I remember how odd people looked on iPads out in public at first. But they were a whole new product.

OP, can you be more specific about what you find jarring? These AirPods with their millimetres extra stem, to me look, well, like EarPods. I honestly can't figure out why people think they're ugly (unless you find EarPods ugly, which is fair enough).
Is just that there's not a wire hanging off?
Genuine question-not flaming or anything. Ta.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well it will take time for people to get used to them for sure. People will look twice alot I imagine but the more people wear them and the more it's advertised on TV the more I guess people will accept the look.

Or the fact who really cares what others think when wearing these. I'm self confident and the least bit concerned with someone pointing a finger. I can think of much more shocking features someone wears in public over a pair Airpods. We are all adults here, some just lack the understanding how to conduct themselves as an adult in public.

Reactions: vito and tma888

tma888

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
I remember how odd people looked on iPads out in public at first. But they were a whole new product.

OP, can you be more specific about what you find jarring? These AirPods with their millimetres extra stem, to me look, well, like EarPods. I honestly can't figure out why people think they're ugly (unless you find EarPods ugly, which is fair enough).
Is just that there's not a wire hanging off?
Genuine question-not flaming or anything. Ta.

Well, for me its the sight of a white long thing hanging halfway on the guys face.
No, I am not judging how he looked with the airpods on, but there is something not right in my mind that I cant put a finger at.

Maybe Im getting too old for new tech hahaha!
[doublepost=1482181299][/doublepost]
Or the fact who really cares what others think when wearing these. I'm self confident and the least bit concerned with someone pointing a finger. I can think of much more shocking features someone wears in public over a pair Airpods. We are all adults here, some just lack the understanding how to conduct themselves as an adult in public.

I agree with you on the confidence issue that no one can give a damn on what everyone wants to wear. And no, I did not point a finger on the guy when I saw him lol :D

Maybe I just need more time to absorb the look on the airpods. ;)

Reactions: 44267547

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
There have been some fashions that have been "hideous". These though are a joke. Overly gimmicky.
Wires act like a connector or leash. I don't see myself trail running with these.
My opinion.
Then don't? There are hundreds of headphones with wires for you to choose from. And if you want the simple pairing that W1 provides, get Powerbeats 3 or wait for Beats X.

Larry The L

Suspended
Jun 9, 2016
At the mall right now having lunch and saw a young guy with the Airpods on his ears..
The moment I saw it, I was flabbergasted!
The stem of the Airpods sticks out too long it looks hideous.
If apple only made it a bit shorter, it would have been acceptable.
Kindly pardon me personal opinion. Please dont get me wrong as I am
also excited about the airpods technology and convenience together with
the iphone but I could not take the thought of me wearing these things.

Please dont hate. :D

I don't hate you. I just don't get the point of this thread. It's obvious to anyone and everyone, that for almost any given product, there will be some that like it and some that don't. Frankly, if they were any shorter, they would look horrible. Their length is just perfect. I have aesthetics, so my opinion is very valid and should be followed by all. :rolleyes:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well, for me its the sight of a white long thing hanging halfway on the guys face.
No, I am not judging how he looked with the airpods on, but there is something not right in my mind that I cant put a finger at.

I agree with you on the confidence issue that no one can give a damn on what everyone wants to wear. And no, I did not point a finger on the guy when I saw him lol :D

You don't seem like the type of person who would point fingers at someone. I was just making a general comment. I do agree they are ugly. But they will serve their purpose for me.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States

I wouldn't say they are 'halfway on the guys face.' It's pretty much the same size as the EarPods, just without the wire. IMHO I think it looks rather cool and futuristic like.
Your opinion is well respected. Heck, I don't like the whole curved screen and bezel-less design that is starting (just for smartphones). That kinda looks very ugly to me.

tma888

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2016
You don't seem like the type of person who would point fingers at someone. I was just making a general comment. I do agree they are ugly. But they will serve their purpose for me.

Thank you Kindly that this has turned into a healthy exchange of opinions instead of a flame war. :)
[doublepost=1482182693][/doublepost]
I wouldn't say they are 'halfway on the guys face.' It's pretty much the same size as the EarPods, just without the wire. IMHO I think it looks rather cool and futuristic like.
Your opinion is well respected. Heck, I don't like the whole curved screen and bezel-less design that is starting (just for smartphones). That kinda looks very ugly to me.

Thank you Kindly for the respect of my own and personal opinion. I am glad that there are mature and reasonable people like you in this forum that participates in a healthy exchange of ideas. Cheers!

Reactions: TMRJIJ and 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thank you Kindly that this has turned into a healthy exchange of opinions instead of a flame war. :)

But you also put out a disclaimer stating you weren't looking to argue. But some of the Airpod articles have been battles with forum members. Some have to remember it's just a pair of Airpods and there are better things happening than mocking someone for wearing Airpods.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
But you also put out a disclaimer stating you weren't looking to argue. But some of the Airpod articles have been battles with forum members. Some have to remember it's just a pair of Airpods and there are better things happening than mocking someone for wearing Airpods.
Yeah as the thread states air pods look fugly:mad:,no point of battling a loosing war:Dthere are more important things to do in life

Reactions: BoneCollector

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I would like to see these somewhat more discreet with Version 2. But you're correct, it's an adjustment that will be widespread once they have time to saturate the market.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I would like to see these somewhat more discreet with Version 2. But you're correct, it's an adjustment that will be widespread once they have time to saturate the market.

Apple definitely has given themselves room to update and evolve the look over future generations. Next years version with BT5 will probably look more refined along with more colors. The real question is what will they do with the stem portion. At present it not only houses the battery, it also serves as a counterbalance to the speaker portion. Unless they go in ear they will have to find a different way to keep these things in your ear without that stem.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple definitely has given themselves room to update and evolve the look over future generations. Next years version with BT5 will probably look more refined along with more colors. The real question is what will they do with the stem portion. At present it not only houses the battery, it also serves as a counterbalance to the speaker portion. Unless they go in ear they will have to find a different way to keep these things in your ear without that stem.

I actually didn't know the battery was housed in the stem. With the stem extended, it likely provides better vocals. Apple products over time slim down or become smaller. I believe these will transform into a smaller, more discreet form. Black will definitely happen as a color as well. But there is huge room for advancement with these and do really well. For now, it's a first Gen product with potential.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
I actually didn't know the battery was housed in the stem. With the stem extended, it likely provides better vocals. Apple products over time slim down or become smaller. I believe these will transform into a smaller, more discreet form. Black will definitely happen as a color as well. But there is huge room for advancement with these and do really well. For now, it's a first Gen product with potential.

Totally agree. And black will definitely look more discreet than the white for sure. BT5 has massive battery and range improvements over the current BT version so Apple will have more flexibility with battery requirements letting them slim and shorten the stem.

Reactions: tma888 and 44267547

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Totally agree. And black will definitely look more discreet than the white for sure. BT5 has massive battery and range improvements over the current BT version so Apple will have more flexibility with battery requirements letting them slim and shorten the stem.

Agreed. Apple will continue to research and develop these. Glad to see they made the release before the Holidays.

Last edited:
Reactions: tma888 and edlex

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I thought they looked silly as well, then I saw that gif making the rounds on the internet which showed the AirPods and then the EarPods with the wire on someone's ear, and it literally looks the same minus the wire, it doesn't look any more weird or silly. Unfortunately I can't find the gif right now

Reactions: ohio.emt

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Then don't? There are hundreds of headphones with wires for you to choose from. And if you want the simple pairing that W1 provides, get Powerbeats 3 or wait for Beats X.

Actually I don't. I am sticking with wired for now.
I am not an iOS only person. All kinds of stuff. I'm not going to buy something at that cost / level for just one item that I can only use infrequently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.