Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like an Aluminum MacBook

• Yes in silver and black

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • no, i like plastic

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • yes, in assorted colors

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • yes in assorted colors with a black keyboard (like MBA)

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • yes in silver and black with a black keyboard (like MBA)

Votes: 25 24.3%

• Total voters

Tracer

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I don't want no stinking Aluminum Macbooks.

Apple needs to have at least one mobile machine without Faraday Cage killing wireless performance.

Having seen this first hand it was really amazing to see the difference. 3-4 Networks vs 8-10 Networks.

I'd rather have LED Macbook screens.

Tracer

a104375

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2007
Matamoras, PA
i think it would be cool to have a plastic macbook with a aluminum cover to protect form cracking and denting. but it would be cool to have more than just white and black as and option

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Aluminum MacBooks would be really nice.

However, if Apple goes all aluminum, then:
- the MBP gets the black blacklit keyboard (like the Air)
- the MB is silver aluminum with the white keyboard (like the iMac)

I'd like to see a two-model Alu MacBook line at $1199 and $1399. (No more color to justify 3 models.)

Then, the MBA's price drops to $1699. This would distance it more from the MBP and position it perfectly in the middle of the two lines.

the mbp already has a backlit keyboard.

SodiumBenzoate

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
It'd be cool if they went to a magnesium alloy case.. Magnesium alloy is about 90-95% aluminum, so it wouldn't be appreciably lighter, but would be less susceptible to denting. It would probably be slightly more expensive for Apple, but not nearly to the extent that they'd change the price (unless they do so just to increase their profit margin).

TravisReynolds

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Seattle
I love my black macbook. i think the color is really nice. I hated the previous notebooks that were aluminum. I hated it, i just didn't like teh design

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I don't care about the material - my problem is it's heavy and ugly. PLastic is fine as long as it looks nice and 4lbs or less and runs Leopard... :cool:

vendettabass

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
aluminum will block wifi signals therefore more problems with connectivity. atleat upgrade the wifi antenna if you are going to make it aluminum.

picture1qa7.png

how would we feel about a touchesque wifi antenna on the macbooks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.