Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrJayJayJay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2023
New here, hi everyone. I hope I have posted this in the right section :

(In England) I set up my 10 year old child's new iPad so app store purchases were blocked . He could ask me if he wanted to buy something - I'd review it and if I agreed, I could enter the password and agree the purchase.

However, although the App Store block was working, somehow in-app purchases were not. He has mental health issues, got out of control and made over £2000 worth of in-app game purchases in just a few days while I was away.

I confiscated the iPad and contacted support immediately via the chat. After over an hour, the expert was able to isolate the issue down to just one email address buried in a menu that for some bizarre reason left the in-app purchases open. He agreed with me that it was ridiculous that in-apps should still work when the store purchases were blocked, that the purchases were clearly unauthorised and due to an error, and that I would be refunded.

He asked me to initiate the refund process via the web page which I did.However all but a single one of 74 purchases were refused without explanation. I contacted support chat again who told me to dispute it via the web page and provide more info, which I did. All of the refunds were refused again. Now there is no option to dispute.

My position is that all of these purchases on my card were unauthorised. An incorrect address buried in a menu that did not seem related to in-apps even when the expert identified the issue does not constitute 'authorisation'. The system in my view is way too complicated and obtuse to expect parents to get it set up correctly every time and there was zero indication that in-apps would work; why would one expect them to if the store block itself was working?

I'm aware of Apple's T+Cs and do not see how any of their criteria therein would justify refusing the refunds, other than that they simply want to keep my money. Nor should they be allowed to ignore statutory rights.

What he bought was in-game currency to gamble to try to win characters. The game is essentially a gambling app disguised as a game in order to addict children and sucker them into £90 purchases. We had no idea this was what it was - when I first reviewed it, it looked exactly like a harmless RPG game. I personally think this should be banned. It's literally trying to get kids hooked on gambling and rip off their parent's cards - what child can afford £90 purchases?

I read up on this and found out that it is a huge issue, and that Apple were already forced to repay $35 million in the US alone via class action suits. Despite this, they continue to do it.

I want a refund :

- has anyone had success in this situation?

- Am I likely to get a different result from phoning Apple instead?

- What are the repercussions of going to my bank to request a chargeback on the debit card in question?

- Are there other ways to try?

I have put a fortune into Apple and their products. I am extremely upset at this all and would appreciate help resolving it. Thanks.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
New here, hi everyone. I hope I have posted this in the right section :

(In England) I set up my 10 year old child's new iPad so app store purchases were blocked . He could ask me if he wanted to buy something - I'd review it and if I agreed, I could enter the password and agree the purchase.

However, although the App Store block was working, somehow in-app purchases were not. He has mental health issues, got out of control and made over £2000 worth of in-app game purchases in just a few days while I was away.

I confiscated the iPad and contacted support immediately via the chat. After over an hour, the expert was able to isolate the issue down to just one email address buried in a menu that for some bizarre reason left the in-app purchases open. He agreed with me that it was ridiculous that in-apps should still work when the store purchases were blocked, that the purchases were clearly unauthorised and due to an error, and that I would be refunded.

He asked me to initiate the refund process via the web page which I did.However all but a single one of 74 purchases were refused without explanation. I contacted support chat again who told me to dispute it via the web page and provide more info, which I did. All of the refunds were refused again. Now there is no option to dispute.

My position is that all of these purchases on my card were unauthorised. An incorrect address buried in a menu that did not seem related to in-apps even when the expert identified the issue does not constitute 'authorisation'. The system in my view is way too complicated and obtuse to expect parents to get it set up correctly every time and there was zero indication that in-apps would work; why would one expect them to if the store block itself was working?

I'm aware of Apple's T+Cs and do not see how any of their criteria therein would justify refusing the refunds, other than that they simply want to keep my money. Nor should they be allowed to ignore statutory rights.

What he bought was in-game currency to gamble to try to win characters. The game is essentially a gambling app disguised as a game in order to addict children and sucker them into £90 purchases. We had no idea this was what it was - when I first reviewed it, it looked exactly like a harmless RPG game. I personally think this should be banned. It's literally trying to get kids hooked on gambling and rip off their parent's cards - what child can afford £90 purchases?

I read up on this and found out that it is a huge issue, and that Apple were already forced to repay $35 million in the US alone via class action suits. Despite this, they continue to do it.

I want a refund :

- has anyone had success in this situation?

- Am I likely to get a different result from phoning Apple instead?

- What are the repercussions of going to my bank to request a chargeback on the debit card in question?

- Are there other ways to try?

I have put a fortune into Apple and their products. I am extremely upset at this all and would appreciate help resolving it. Thanks.
Sounds like you should take responsibility of your kids action and stop trying to scam Apple out

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Sounds like you should take responsibility of your kids action and stop trying to scam Apple out
Defending a capitalist monolith instead of consumer rights is not the right way to go my friend unless you're Tim Cook's alt? The OP hasn't done anything wrong and could never have known about the error in the process.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
As you live in the UK and we have actual functioning consumer rights laws here if you don't get anywhere with Apple I would recommend taking it up with Citizens Advice who would be able to get an ombudsman to look into your case and try to resolve it. This is free.

If this doesn't work you always have the option of taking it to a small claims court. Designed to get money from people when it is owed and they won't pay out with a mandatory court order. For the sum you need to claim you're looking at a £115 upfront fee to do so.

You also have the option of contacting the media! The Guardian (and I suppose other news outlets?) have consumer rights champions designed to tell your story and fight for your rights. Nobody wants to have bad press!

You can also use all of the above as a threat if your exchanges with Apple become heated. Make sure you have records of every online chat and phone call by using the screen recorder functions of your devices.

I wish you luck and hope you get the money back.

I would recommend enforcing a no IAP-app rule. I did this with my own kids after a similar incident on the my Xbox.

They can only download apps I had paid upfront for and were available from my downloads list in the App Store on their device. Apple Arcade is also worth a shout as it as all the games are IAP-free and there are loads of exclusives alongside classic mobile games. You can also get some quality IAP-free mobile titles with a Netflix sub if you have that.

MrJayJayJay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2023
Phoned Apple who were extremely sympathetic and understanding. Gave me my own senior advisor with direct contact to sort it. Arranged a full refund.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Phoned Apple who were extremely sympathetic and understanding. Gave me my own senior advisor with direct contact to sort it. Arranged a full refund.
Appreciate the update. I have two kids <18 with their own devices, and your thread prompted me to double-check the "in app purchases" set, which somehow was Off for one of my kids. Sometimes you need to turn off Screen Time to allow for a necessary change, and when you re-enable, a lot of these defaults can put you in a bind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.