Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnthegoldfishcracker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
I have an iPhone 8 running Developer Beta 3. (I'm not in the developer beta program - I got it through a website that shall not be named) I want to remove the developer beta, and possibly switch to the Public Betas, but I'm not sure how to do it. Can I just remove the Dev Beta without losing anything? I cannot lose my data because this is my only phone. Please help if you can! ?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have an iPhone 8 running Developer Beta 3. (I'm not in the developer beta program - I got it through a website that shall not be named) I want to remove the developer beta, and possibly switch to the Public Betas, but I'm not sure how to do it. Can I just remove the Dev Beta without losing anything? I cannot lose my data because this is my only phone. Please help if you can! ?
Delete the developer profile (under Settings > General > Profiles) and install the public beta one if you want via the public beta program at https://beta.apple.com/

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I can just delete and reboot and it won't cause any problems? I've heard that going from 14.2 to 14.1 wouldn't work.
You can delete and reboot, the profile is only there to tell the device where to check for and get new updates.

It won't let you do something like downgrade. It seemed like the desire was just to move to public beta program (or at least simply leave developer beta program) though.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
So I can just delete and reboot and it won't cause any problems? I've heard that going from 14.2 to 14.1 wouldn't work.
If you want to stay on beta, but just go from Dev to Public, then follow what @C DM said and you will be fine.

If you want to get of beta's totally, then the only options are to remove the beta profile and then you will be on the current 14.2 beta until the 14.2 public release comes out and it will prompt you to update.

The other option is to basically revert back to 14.1 .

Apple has this nice guide to it all:
How to uninstall iOS beta software – Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-gb

ImNotBill

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
Yeah - removed profile & performed DFU, does not permit a downgrade to 14.0.1/14.1 (thanks Apple). Workaround
Settings > General > Date & Time > Turn off 'Set Automatically' and move the current date back a couple days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.