Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I accidentally tore apart the flex cable on my iPhone 6s camera (on the right) and bought a new one from supposedly working iPhone 6s (probably locked so that's why they sold the parts)

But I'm seeing some differences - the black ring around my original lens isn't that black on the new one - it's actually grey.

In terms of photo quality I think it's the same, the photos also come out 12MP instead of 8MP (if it's for iPhone 6).

Can someone confirm if this camera is genuine and why it differs in looks?

IMG_7207.JPG

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I accidentally tore apart the flex cable on my iPhone 6s camera (on the right) and bought a new one from supposedly working iPhone 6s (probably locked so that's why they sold the parts)

But I'm seeing some differences - the black ring around my original lens isn't that black on the new one - it's actually grey.

In terms of photo quality I think it's the same, the photos also come out 12MP instead of 8MP (if it's for iPhone 6).

Can someone confirm if this camera is genuine and why it differs in looks?

View attachment 910743
If the camera is not taking the same 12MP pictures as the original, it's obviously not a legitimate part as it'd have a different part # on it if it's for the iPhone 6.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
If the camera is not taking the same 12MP pictures as the original, it's obviously not a legitimate part as it'd have a different part # on it if it's for the iPhone 6.
My thoughts are this is a third party replacement part, due to the visual difference, even with the alleged Apple logo and parts number printed on.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My thoughts are this is a third party replacement part, due to the visual difference, even with the alleged Apple logo and parts number printed on.
I'm sure Apple gets their parts from different suppliers, so some variations wouldn't be a huge surprise. There's also a huge market for Apple replacement parts so counterfeits are not rare, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.