Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
US
Hello, I am looking into buying a macbook or macbook air (when the price goes down) I'm kinda new so I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. I'm wondering how fast the macbook air really is. Right now I have a Dell Pentium 4 2.4 GHz PC. I don't know how the Dual Core 1.6 GHz macbook air's speed would compare to that. Since it is dual core would it be faster or slower? Thanks!!! Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
First of all, if you are waiting for the price to go down, you'll be waiting a long while. Are you a college student? If you are, you can probably get a 10% discount.

The dual core processor means its faster because it can handle more information in the same amount of time. Whether or not the speed is good enough for you really depends on what you want to use it for. What would you like to use it for?

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
US
I would be using it for just the basics- internet browsing, writing stuff, downloading movies and such, not the heavy video editing or any of that.

Thanks

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
If that's the case, then you'd be fine with the power it offers, but there are other questions you have to ask. Do you really need the ultra-mobility, or do you just like the case and look of it? Are you going to be ok with only 80GB of hard drive space? Will you need an optical drive (add 100 for external).

If you don't need the specifics it offers, you're better off with just a macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.