Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeroxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
Hi All, I am at work now but was hoping I could get some results by the time I am home.

I have a Macbook Air 2010-2011 (not sure). Someone was playing with it and wiped the partition and the corresponding OSX (Mavericks).

I tried to do a clean install - First I tried to use an El Capitan Boot up USB, but when it gets close to completing I get an arror and the Log Report screen comes up and the install stops.

I also tried to do an Internet Recovery but once I added my password for the Wifi, it never moved on from that stage. Not sure if I need to wait for longer or what.

I have used the start up commands of COMMAND+R, OPTION and COMMAND OPTION+R but to no avail I am unable to correctly install a damn OS!

All in all, I am having an issue with reinstalling El Capitan, and was wondering if anyone could share some tips on best practice how to rectify this issue.

Thank you!

P.S Us there a way to just wipe the computer, and start from scratch? My info is backed up I just need to have a working OS

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you cannot get into the internet recovery by way of cmd-option-r, then there's not much else that can be done, short of bringing it into apple.

Try resetting the SMC and PRAM as one last attempt, but short of that, I don't think there's much else that can be done.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I tried to do a clean install - First I tried to use an El Capitan Boot up USB, but when it gets close to completing I get an arror and the Log Report screen comes up and the install stops.

P.S Us there a way to just wipe the computer, and start from scratch? My info is backed up I just need to have a working OS
You probably need to Erase your drive and install OS X using your USB El Capitan installer.

Here is another link on how to clean install El Capitan:
http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/01/clean-install-os-x-el-capitan-mac/

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I have a Macbook Air 2010-2011 (not sure). Someone was playing with it and wiped the partition and the corresponding OSX (Mavericks)."

This is why one always keeps an external drive around with a FULLY-BOOTABLE copy of the OS on it. A bootable cloned backup is better yet.

If you had one, you'd be booted and running again in two minutes. Then you could get to work on the problems. Even "wipe the computer and start from scratch", as you mentioned.

I realize this advice doesn't help you RIGHT NOW, but go forth and learn for the future -- a wiser man!

mikeroxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
I am not even sure what the error is, but all that happens is the Log Dialogue appears and says installation cannot complete - then given option to restart or shut down. So strange because I have completed this process a million times.

When I try doing the Internet Recovery Option - i input the wifi password, but the globe keeps spinning and doesn't seem to advance me to the next page... Is this normal or nah?
[doublepost=1458583245][/doublepost]
What is the error?
The error is the log screen appears and says can't complete with the option to restart or shutdown.

I will try and get a screen grab.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i input the wifi password, but the globe keeps spinning and doesn't seem to advance me to the next page... Is this normal or nah?

How long did you wait at this stage? That is downloading about a 650MB recovery image, so it takes a bit of time.

mikeroxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2014
How long did you wait at this stage? That is downloading about a 650MB recovery image, so it takes a bit of time.

After about 10 min this appeared. No clue what it means
Unknown.jpg
Unknown.jpg

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That 1005f error is usually because you are on a wifi network type that is not supported by Internet recovery. Try just completely disabling your wifi password and leave the wifi open for this and try again.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

You can see what I am talking about halfway down this page under supported networks.

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.