Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Hi all, I am having issues with my MacBook Pro retina 2012.

All of a sudden since yesterday it's seems to be in a form of suspended state. The screen is showing illuminated off black colour (not real screen off). I can hear the fans, keyboard lights are not on.

If I press the power button it sort of goes into a suspended state with fans going off. If I press the power button again, you can hear the fans come on, screens turns back to the off black colour, keyboard light stays off.

What have I tried with no luck :

1) pressing the power button for ages to see if it will reboot .
2) pressing option+command+shift+power button.
3) Plugged the hdmi port to Monitor and TV but they are both not detecting a signal from MacBook.
4) Left it on to drain the battery hoping that will force a power it off. Battery drained off and I could see that big battery drain logo in the middle of the screen which sort of implies that the screen does work. I tried recharging and powering on it still just went back to the illuminated off black screen

So clearly the MacBook is just not rebooting or starting properly. It also means I can't even attempt to boot from USB.

Any Idea what I can do please? I have a couple of important virtual machines I forgot to backup

Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Holding down the power button for about 5-6 seconds should force it to shut off completely.
(that's the first step)
It won't do this...?

cooa99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Holding down the power button for about 5-6 seconds should force it to shut off completely.
(that's the first step)
It won't do this...?

Nope, it won't. I had my hand on for 30+ sec and it does not power down. seems like it just goes to sleep

Strange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.