Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidBoornn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2013
Hi, please forgive me there will be a lot of mistake in my words.
This is a long story, I’ll make it short

Part 1.
1. By some raison (POWER NAP in Mountain Lion), I have download and installed a .pkg firmware update UNOFFICIAL from a forum. This is an update for Mac Air, but i have not been stopped on my macbook 13.
2. After a reboot, the fans go to top speed, the SMC version have been rewrite to 1.66f57. And form this moment, my macbook cannot enter Lion or Mountain Lion, or even the recover partition.
3. I could install Snow Leopard, but after installation, system goes to sleep, i could weak it up, but after 5s, it goes to sleep.
4. I could install Windows 7, Ubuntun linux, but the fan goes to top speed all the time.
5. Sleep light, battery indicator, keyboard backlight, all of them didn't work anymore. Fans go to top speed all the time.

What I have tried, but didn't work:
-Reset SMC, power off, battery out, memories out, hold the power button ….
-Reset PRAM, Command (⌘), Option, P, and R…
-And the other keyboard combination…
-Firmware Restoration CD, 1.4-1.9
-All the EFI and SMC update, (it takes hours, after login, and disk goes to sleep every 5s…), but none of them will rewrite the SMC version…
-2 times with Apple Genius Bar, the advice is to change the main board…it cost $$$$$
-a command form a blog 'sodu bless -mount / -firmware ………', it doesn't work…

So, I let it in my bag…

Part 2.
1. Finally, I decide to sell it partly, and I give a final shoot…
2. I know there is a lithe battery FIX on the main board, and I know it keeps something like time when the power off, so i get it off.
Before step 2, what I have done
-an Ubuntu linux have been installed
-tried EFI Restoration CD one time
-use all the key combinations to reset all
-power off, battery out, memories out, disk out

3. I have replaced another disk with Snow Leopard (installed by Genius Bar, the system stay on Welcome music).
4. Replace the memories, NO battery
5. Plug the power, BUT this time, NO light of the magsafe, and power on ….
6. Fan goes to top speed like the NORMAL startup, BUT stay on top speed.
7. Login to system no problem. Restart with by system no problem.
8. But when i shut it down, the magsafe light returned, all the problem returned…@_@
9. i REDO all the steps, but without success…

So, with the part 2, i think there is a way to avoid the SMC to power up the system, Does anyone please tell me how to do this, make the magsafe connected but without light on.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.