Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LinkRS

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2014
Texas, USA
Wait, you are running Windows 11 on ARM? I thought that did not work yet!

On the advice topic, I would definitely go for the 14 inch. It's a great size and much better to carry around than the heavier old laptops I used to have. Go for it!
The current version of Parallels (17) will setup a Windows 11 ARM edition VM for you. It downloads the ISO and configures everything. I changed the RAM from the default 4 GB to 8 GB, but otherwise left it the same. I also activated it using the Windows 10 key I purchased for my previous Mac, and activated it.

Reactions: The_Martini_Cat

KNUTZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
Romania
Sure thing. I think the 16” M1 Pro 1TB is the sweet spot. That’ll be a fabulous choice; the very best battery life, the very best thermals, super-fast charging, better speakers, more comfortable palm rests, more space on that super-fast internal SSD, 20-25% faster than the base 14” on any CPU-limited task that leverages multiple cores, and more screen real estate. That’s a lot of upgrades for only a few hundred bucks and a bit less portability.
My advice:

Whatever you choose, make sure it has 16gb of RAM minimum.
DO NOT get only 8gb of RAM.
That's not "enough" any more.

Thanks to all of you guys, I have made my decision, but first just so you understand in what country I live in, Romania, thrid world country, I have decided to go for the base 16”, 1 TB SSD and 32 GB RAM, AND THE PEOPLE AT THE STORE TOLD ME THAT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE, that if I want 32 GB RAM I have to buy the M1 Max, or that I have to go for the 14” one which is just retarded, why eould the 14” base one be able to have 32 RAM, and the 16” one not so I decided to just take it as a sign that I’m good with 16 GB RAM, and order the 16GB RAM one, hope is gonna be fine and futute proof, cuz for now I m good with 16GB RAM but for the future it might not be enough, I do have to run both IntelliJ, VSCode and multple tabs and maybe one VM from time to time, hope it can handle it and if not hope the swapping ain t gonna kill my SSD as I have picked the 1TB one so should have more TBW. I m still considering to cancel and go to a different store and try to configure it but they told me that this is what the guys from Apple Romania told them and I tried arguing with them and told me I am wrong and it is just not possible, even if I ve showed them evidence from the official apple site.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Thanks to all of you guys, I have made my decision, but first just so you understand in what country I live in, Romania, thrid world country, I have decided to go for the base 16”, 1 TB SSD and 32 GB RAM, AND THE PEOPLE AT THE STORE TOLD ME THAT IT IS NOT POSSIBLE, that if I want 32 GB RAM I have to buy the M1 Max, or that I have to go for the 14” one which is just retarded, why eould the 14” base one be able to have 32 RAM, and the 16” one not so I decided to just take it as a sign that I’m good with 16 GB RAM, and order the 16GB RAM one, hope is gonna be fine and futute proof, cuz for now I m good with 16GB RAM but for the future it might not be enough, I do have to run both IntelliJ, VSCode and multple tabs and maybe one VM from time to time, hope it can handle it and if not hope the swapping ain t gonna kill my SSD as I have picked the 1TB one so should have more TBW. I m still considering to cancel and go to a different store and try to configure it but they told me that this is what the guys from Apple Romania told them and I tried arguing with them and told me I am wrong and it is just not possible, even if I ve showed them evidence from the official apple site.
I think the people at your store may be correct.
Even here in California USA, 10 miles from Apple headquarters, it is not possible to get a 32GB 14" in a store - it has to be a custom order.
It is possible to get a 32GB 16" in store, or a 64GB 14" in store, but not a 32GB 14" in store.

Last edited:
Reactions: KNUTZ

KNUTZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
Romania
q
I think the people at your store may be correct.
Even here in California USA, 10 miles from Apple headquarters, it is not possible to get a 32GB 14" in a store - it has to be a custom order.
It is possible to get a 32GB 16" in store, or a 64GB 14" in store, but not a 32GB 14" in store

Well, this is the thing, i wanted the 16” with 32GB, not the 14”, and not only that they told me it os not possible here or that it has to be pre made, they told me I can order it however I want to but that it doesn’t exist at all, that apple doesn’t produce the 16” woth M1 Pro 10/16 with 32 GB and that it is not compatible which is a ********, and that I can order the 14” one with 32 GB. They told me that if it exists I can configure it however I want which is not true.

They could have told me yea, it is possible but Apple Romania doesn’t provide it to us, but they told me they can order whatever I want if I wait 3 months, besides that cuz that doesn’t exist..either way I don’t think the price difference and the 3 months of wait would’ve been worth it for the 16 extra RAMS, as I would very rarely get into the situstion to need more than 16 and in that case I think the swaping and the compression would do the job, as I have the 1TB version and the new MacBook dealing with it very well(as demonstrated in that comparison on yt)

Last edited:

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
q

Well, this is the thing, i wanted the 16” with 32GB, not the 14”, and not only that they told me it os not possible here or that it has to be pre made, they told me I can order it however I want to but that it doesn’t exist at all, that apple doesn’t produce the 16” woth M1 Pro 10/16 with 32 GB and that it is not compatible which is a ********, and that I can order the 14” one with 32 GB. They told me that if it exists I can configure it however I want which is not true.

They could have told me yea, it is possible but Apple Romania doesn’t provide it to us, but they told me they can order whatever I want if I wait 3 months, besides that cuz that doesn’t exist..either way I don’t think the price difference and the 3 months of wait would’ve been worth it for the 16 extra RAMS, as I would very rarely get into the situstion to need more than 16 and in that case I think the swaping and the compression would do the job, as I have the 1TB version and the new MacBook dealing with it very well(as demonstrated in that comparison on yt)
The 32GB 16" is only available in store as the M1 Max version, not the M1 Pro version, sorry I was not clear. So I think they are telling you the same, sounds like you have the same availability of in-store models as we have here.

But the combination you want can definitely be ordered, at least here

I think you will be fine with 16GB.

Reactions: KNUTZ

KNUTZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
Romania
The 32GB 16" is only available in store as the M1 Max version, not the M1 Pro version, sorry I was not clear. So I think they are telling you the same, sounds like you have the same availability of in-store models as we have here.

But the combination you want can definitely be ordered, at least here

I think you will be fine with 16GB.
Yes, I get it that in store only this is available but he told me that even on order that spec is not available and doesn’t exist which is not true, I should at least have the option to get it if I wait

Reactions: wilberforce

mitchell88

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2019
Spain
Yes, I get it that in store only this is available but he told me that even on order that spec is not available and doesn’t exist which is not true, I should at least have the option to get it if I wait
Have you tried order with Amazon?
Or why not order from any EU country ?
I would go for the MBP 16. If you looking to keep it for good 5 years buy the best you can. Good luck.

KNUTZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2022
Romania
Have you tried order with Amazon?
Or why not order from any EU country ?
I would go for the MBP 16. If you looking to keep it for good 5 years buy the best you can. Good luck.
Yes, well I ordered the 16” with 1 TB SSD but I couldn’t get the 32 GB RAM so I got the 16 one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.