Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bcemail

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
About to order phones for the kids for Christmas. All are free right now through Verizon:

1. iPhone 11 refurb: I know some mentioned not liking Verizon's refurb vs. Apple, but others have had a good experience. I have an 11 now and really like it.
2. iPhone 12 mini new: they are teen girls, so maybe better for the hands? But then I read that battery life isn't as good which worried me. I think the screen is on par with my previous phone (a 7) so maybe that wouldn't be a problem. I'm trying to surprise them so don't want to take them into the store to hold the mini.
3. iPhone XR new: Wasn't sure if this was going too far back tech wise and might need replacing sooner due to slowing speeds, lack of updates, etc.

What are the main points to consider? I've read too many articles and just wanted to see if someone has any thoughts, anecdotes, etc. Thanks!!!!!

bcemail

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
You can’t go wrong with any of them. Though I’d stick with LCD screens for the kids

Thanks! Also I just realized it's pre-owned not refurbished so that's even better.
Which are LCD? Any reason it's better for kids?

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Both Xr and 11 will be significantly bigger and much heavier. Are they OK with that? How old are the kids?

My daughter currently has 7, which also has poor battery life but her phone is mostly for calling and emergency and she has screen time on it, so I am not concerned with the battery. We use her phone to keep an eye on her while she is on a bus to and from school. If her phone dies on her after school while she is at home, no one really cares at that point - perhaps it is a sign that she spends too much time.

Depends on how your kids are, perhaps a phone that does not have super long batter will be the advantage, right? you dont want them to be glued to the screen for 5-8 hours a day.

If all these phones are free, I would go with the newest model which in this case is 12 mini and not worry about the battery.

bcemail

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Both Xr and 11 will be significantly bigger and much heavier. Are they OK with that? How old are the kids?

My daughter currently has 7, which also has poor battery life but her phone is mostly for calling and emergency and she has screen time on it, so I am not concerned with the battery. We use her phone to keep an eye on her while she is on a bus to and from school. If her phone dies on her after school while she is at home, no one really cares at that point - perhaps it is a sign that she spends too much time.

Depends on how your kids are, perhaps a phone that does not have super long batter will be the advantage, right? you dont want them to be glued to the screen for 5-8 hours a day.

If all these phones are free, I would go with the newest model which in this case is 12 mini and not worry about the battery.
Those are really good points, thanks! They are 14 yo girls so sort of in the middle when it comes to hand size. And can't use their phones during school so it would probably be on airplane to save battery life.
I've let them hold my 11 to try and get a feel for things without being too obvious about their present. Maybe I will spoil the surprise and just take them in store. I guess if one size doesn't work out we can always try and trade in or something.
Thanks!

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
What did you end up getting? How is it working out?

My daughter is only 9 and has an aged iPod Touch that is near death. I was considering getting her a used phone as a replacement but not adding a line just yet.

Out of curiosity, what age did you give them a phone (line?)

bcemail

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
What did you end up getting? How is it working out?

My daughter is only 9 and has an aged iPod Touch that is near death. I was considering getting her a used phone as a replacement but not adding a line just yet.

Out of curiosity, what age did you give them a phone (line?)
I decided to go with the used 11s. Verizon has a grading system so I was able to get them in Great or Excellent condition (forget what it was called but I think it was the highest). Wasn't too worried about color just about storage and condition. The look perfect and they've had no problems. I thought about the smaller phone but talked to them a bit about it and they said everyone they know just has the normal sizes. Down the line they can always try a smaller one.
For us, this was the first time they had a phone line so we waited longer than most of their peers. They got iPads when the turned 13 but those were their first devices other than iPods that I got them for music a few years ago. Good luck!

Reactions: philrock

philrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
Thanks for the insight! I was initially looking at Verizon free phones as well but am not ready to give her an active line just yet. For now, she will likely get a used XS, hopefully, it will still be functional in a few years when she is I am ready for her to have a line...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.