Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Here is my setup: PB G3 (Wallstreet) running OS 9 is permanently connected to cable Internet connection. All other machines use it to connect to the Internet via Vicomsoft Internet Gateway.

There is an Epson printer connected to the Wallstreet. All the Macs in the house use EpsonShare to print on that printer.

Here is my problem: EpsonShare won't run in Classic, nor will it ever come to OS X (straight from the author's mouth).

How do I use the printer connected to the Wallstreet to print in OS X?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Maybe connect your printer to another station that runs 9 instead of X? That seems like a decent option to me. Since I'm assuming everyone's on a network you could take your pick of print stations.

Then again, I don't really know your setup, so that might not be possible.

Is the trouble that none of the stations can print, or just the wallstreet? What model Epson?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Which Epson printer are you using? You mentioned that you are running OS 9 on the powerbook, but then mentioned classic. I know for a fact that if all systems are running OS 9.x, that you can share the printer.

Have you considered getting the ethernet adapter for the printer and networking that way?? I have an Epson C80 that I was going to get that item for, but was informed by a very nice Epson lady that the part that makes the C80WN wireless was going to be available soon (she did not have a date available to her). I am going to get that part for my printer so that I can connect all three of my computers to it at all times.

Do you have an ethernet hub/switch there? It sounds like you need some additional networking hardware, and maybe not use that software. I know that the Linksys router/firewall is a good product. I believe that they even make one with a print server in it (network the printer that way).

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Sorry, I didn't explain that very well...

The Wallstreet is running OS 9 with EpsonShare [server]. Any machine on the network running OS 9 can print fine using EpsonShare [Client].

But when a machine on the network is booted into OS X, I need to find a different way to print because EpsonShare [client] cannot be run in the Classic environment.

...I think that makes it a bit clearer :)

As for the setup, the network is based around a couple of ethernet hubs, and the printer is a Stylus 740.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
So is the ethernet adapter an option in my case? (Please say yes!)

It's kind of a pain having to boot back into 9 to print! (That and CD burning are the only reasons I use 9).

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
As far as I know, you cannot (yet) print across the OS's to the Espon printer that is being shared. I attempted this with my C80, and it didn't work. Epson is working to fix that, at least for the newer printers.

You might want to consider an ethernet router/switch that has a print server built into it (Asante makes one, as well as a couple of other makers).

Epson is also working on OS X drivers for the ethernet print server(s). That will allow you to connect the printer to a ethernet switch/hub and use it by all systems.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
What if the machine the printer is connected to is running OS X? Is it possible to then share the printer with other macs running OS X? If so, will it also work with other macs running OS 9?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
With the networking options, the printer is not connected to any single computer. All you would need to do, is check to make sure that the networking hardware will work with OS X.

T

TremorX

Um... ok.. so apparently Network printers don't work on a Mac.

OH NOS SOMETHING THAT SHOUDL BE SIMPAL DOENT WORK IN TEH MACS!!

And I'm supposed to be surprised because...?

....seems to me that Mac users spend more time talking about their Macs than using them. I guess when that's about all you can do with it, you don't have much choice. *shrug*

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Skinny:

1. Epson sux, the only way to make this work is through an epson print server (hardware) and those only work with SOME epson printers.

2.It can be done with any Ethernet equipped printer that an OS X driver exists for.

3.Networking AT ALL between OS 9 and OS X is a giant pain in the ass unless it's via TCP/IP and/or you've got a worldclass geek on hand 24/7.

4. Don't expect anything from Epson. They'd much rather you'd buy a new Ethernet equipped printer than simply download USB sharing software.

T

TremorX

Um... ok.. so apparently Network printers don't work on a Mac.

OH NOS SOMETHING THAT SHOUDL BE SIMPAL DOENT WORK IN TEH MACS!!

And I'm supposed to be surprised because...?

....seems to me that Mac users spend more time talking about their Macs than using them. I guess when that's about all you can do with it, you don't have much choice. *shrug*

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
-TremorX

Just what do you define as a network printer if not Ethernet?

Have you nothing better to do than lurk and wait for an oppertunity to badmouth Macs as a platform when people ask for help?

Has it occurred to you that perhaps we can talk because our Macs can walk AND chew gum?

How many printers have YOU hooked up successfully to multiple machines via remote-hosting between dis-similar OS's?

If you have nothing to add--get lost. I would add an ASCI "finger" but Arn would get pissed.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
TremorX - you're a rather negative person, aren't you?

I was able to network a series of different machines through my hose running OS 8 and 9, and win 95 and 98 with no trouble when I was 17. Yep, no trouble... thanks to using a Mac as the 'centerpiece'.

Given that, I think I have a right to ask a few questions about a printing problem after adding yet another (9 month old) OS to the mix.

Please give me a hand if you have any ideas, otherwise, please go do your Mac-bashing somewhere where the people will care.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Good for you TremorX, you've found one of the tech support threads on here. I'm sure if I went to a PC site I wouldn't find any posts like "tr001.dll not found-help!" or "I can't get out of safe mode" :rolleyes: .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.