Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emscie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
I would like to take a break from att for 6 months, suspending my line. What carrier would it make sense to switch to? And how much do they cost? I will be using an old 3G iphone unlocked by att. I don't do much with my phone except for a few calls and google map use.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
You could give T-Mobile's network a try, but you'd only get EDGE speeds on your iPhone since it doesn't support T-Mo's newest bands. It would be $50 for unlimited everything, with 500MB of high speed data and unlimited EDGE (although you'd mostly only get EDGE anyway). You could also try NET10, which would use AT&T's network, they have 3G data for your phone and much better coverage than T-Mobile overall. That plan would be $14.99 for a SIM card and then $50/month for unlimited data, texting, and minutes, or $45/month if you get auto refill from a credit or debit card. NET10 would be your best bet, most likely. Hope I've helped!

Here are some links to help you get started:
http://www.net10-store.com/bpdirect...&locale=en&market=GSM4&productFamily=simcards
http://www.net10wireless.com/#/plans
http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I just signed a line up with Go Smart Mobile today and it has been great so far. We got the unlimited phone, text, and unlimited 2G for $35 a month. Go Smart is owned by T-Mobile. I found a deal on eBay where the first month was $25, including the sim card. A lot of the other providers had an extra charge for the sim card, so I thought the first month deal was good.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
I just signed a line up with Go Smart Mobile today and it has been great so far. We got the unlimited phone, text, and unlimited 2G for $35 a month. Go Smart is owned by T-Mobile. I found a deal on eBay where the first month was $25, including the sim card. A lot of the other providers had an extra charge for the sim card, so I thought the first month deal was good.

Yeah, but if he used an AT&T Unlocked iPhone 3G, he wouldn't get 3G, just EDGE. I know the plan includes EDGE, but EDGE is very slow and is an older technology. That's why I recommended he went with an AT&T MVNO because he'd get faster 3G speeds.

rjkgr

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2013
i have verizon and if you get verizon u cant get unlimited data but somepeople work there way around it but u can just buy the phone for unlimited data and i also dont like how it goes from LTE and then 3g so much of a difference.... hope this helps

Kimberly16

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
Choosing Net10 is a Gamble

My iphone5 worked great on Net10 for 3 weeks and then stopped downloading data. I have been on the phone with their reps and supervisors for HOURS! Nobody can fix the problem. So now 2 weekes later and a $50 service renew, I have an iphone that will call and text but cannot use 3g. I feel helpless. I am angry. I am completely unsatisfied with the customer service.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, but if he used an AT&T Unlocked iPhone 3G, he wouldn't get 3G, just EDGE. I know the plan includes EDGE, but EDGE is very slow and is an older technology. That's why I recommended he went with an AT&T MVNO because he'd get faster 3G speeds.

He can get 3G on an unlocked 3G in areas where Tmobile has refarmed their network. That means most metro areas.

Beware of MVNOs because they come with almost zero customer service.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would like to take a break from att for 6 months, suspending my line. What carrier would it make sense to switch to?
Why do you want to take a break from AT&T - that might help us suggest a carrier.

Also, where do you live as that would help with suggestions. For example, where I live Sprint would not be a good suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.