Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Having reinstalled my Mojave 10.14.6 and having migrated my settings from a clone back up, I ended having 2 accounts with slightly different user names but with different home accounts settings like Documents, Pictures and so on.
It‘s confusing when any new data has to be searched in which user account it has been placed.
Who will kindly indicate me the best and less complicated way to join them into one and only user account without any application or data loss.
Thank you very much in advance!

Reactions: camelia

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What, specifically, do you want to "combine"?

Email?
Photos?
Something else?
Lay it out for us.

This is going to involve A LOT of work and forethought.

If you had "re-installed" correctly, you wouldn't be facing this dilemma.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
What, specifically, do you want to "combine"?

Email?
Photos?
Something else?
Lay it out for us.

This is going to involve A LOT of work and forethought.

If you had "re-installed" correctly, you wouldn't be facing this dilemma.
Thank you for trying to help me, Fishrrman!
I do not keep a lot of music or films or photos in my inner drive. So that "Data" is not a problem.
I would need to keep:
1) all my Applications including my Outlook used for mails,
and
2) the whole Mojave System Folders.
You say I did nor reinstall it right... but since I migrated my previous settings and did not reinstall all the applications as new, the risk of having "me" as the previous owner and "me" as the new owner, that is 2 home folders for 2 "mes" was actually an undesirable possibility I unfortunately did not manage to avoid.
Any suggestion how to reach points 1) an 2) will be very appreciated.
Thank you in advance Fishrrman!

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
I would need to keep:
1) all my Applications including my Outlook used for mails,
and
2) the whole Mojave System Folders.
Both of these are common for all users on the computer, so unless you did something really creative, Applications and system folders are shared between the two accounts. If one of the users has his/her own private Applications folder (I have), you just move the applications (drag-and-drop) into the global Applications folder and all users will have all applications.

Your challege will be user data configuration of the applications. Outlook app should be in global Applications folder, but your user profile = name, e-mails, and attachments will be in user specific folders.

I am still confused on what the problem is. I assume one of your accounts has your current e-mail and configured applications. The other does not but has something else you want to retain. So use that one account which has up to date stuff and copy stuff from teh other account on a separate drive and move any data (if there are any) into that most up to date account. Or are you looking for merging the stuff together? That can be very difficult.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
Both of these are common for all users on the computer, so unless you did something really creative, Applications and system folders are shared between the two accounts. If one of the users has his/her own private Applications folder (I have), you just move the applications (drag-and-drop) into the global Applications folder and all users will have all applications.

Your challege will be user data configuration of the applications. Outlook app should be in global Applications folder, but your user profile = name, e-mails, and attachments will be in user specific folders.

I am still confused on what the problem is. I assume one of your accounts has your current e-mail and configured applications. The other does not but has something else you want to retain. So use that one account which has up to date stuff and copy stuff from te other account on a separate drive and move any data (if there are any) into that most up to date account. Or are you looking for merging the stuff together? That can be very difficult.
Thank you for your help!
I kept as the account to be used as the current one, the one which showed to have more data, copied some files from the other one and put a few big ones in an external data drive.
The mails updated by themselves quickly so I was again uptodate regarding mails.
My applications seem to be, as you said, common AFAIK and the Mojave System Settings, the thing I feared most, seem to be working OK regardless of the home account I now use.
Some files ask for permission but that is logical and easy to grant.
Hoping no new unexpected difficulties appear, I believe my problem to be solved.
I thank you very much, Honza1, for your kind assistance!
One Problem, not related with my 2 accounts, still bothers me.
I cannot take full possesion from the Mojave side, of my Bootcamp Partition in spite of having installed Tuxera NTFS. I can open and see the folders but cannot copy anything into or from that partition.
If you know a way (using the Terminal for instance) to become a full fledge owner with full rights of the BootCamp Partition please let me know it.
However I am aware it has nothing to do with the problem which made me start this thread.
Again thank you very much Honza1 and a happy 2020!
Ed

Last edited:

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
Very good, seems you have one account now. For Bootcamp I suggest you find proper forum and search for similar problem there and, if needed, create a new question with proper title there.
I have no expertise in Bootcamp. I use virtualization (Parallels) and find that solution better for my professional needs. I can run multiple systems at once, which is really cool and useful.

Reactions: Riwam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.