Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yendog

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Sonoma, CA
So for various reasons that have not existed before it would be extremely helpful to have more access to my "iTunes" (Big Sur "music") in the cloud.

I'm a professional musician so my library is insane and large and the VAST majority of the songs were NOT purchased on the iTunes store.

I am assuming that this will work like the photos in the cloud. The originals STAY on my computer (very important for my backups) and then the rest "live" in the cloud and if I want the songs they will show up but need to download to my device when I select them.

The way I understand it is that anything purchased on the store will "match" and not count towards the 100k as it will not need to actually upload the actual data to the cloud but everything else will need to.

My questions are two please!

1. None of the original files are actually removed from my hard drive on my main computer/main library or is there a option like in photos to "store full quality on this computer" (or whatever the text is)

2. If I have well over 100k what happens? I would be TOTALLY fine choosing what does and does not sync but I don't know that this is possible? Or will it just "fill" the 100k songs and not sync any others... how does this work?

okay three.

3. If anyone has a better suggestion on a good, organized, way to essentially have all the library available in the cloud on a different service if it sounds like match is a bad idea?

THANK YOU all for any clarification.... I have looked into this before but the 100k always kept me away but for how my life is working now it would really help to have the library available in other places.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.