Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
I know that I'm years behind as far us upgrading my computer so don't chew my head off, I have a Mid 2009 17 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Duo , 4Gb DDR3 Ram and Dual 9400 256 and 9600 GT 512. I planned on maxing out ram and installing a SSD, then I looked at the new system requirements for sierra and I'm immensely disappointed. My computer still runs circles around most of those 2010-11 machines. I know there is a work around but can someone explain Apples logic! is this because of their "Legacy" rule? I know my computer could easily squeeze out 2 more years even without upgrades and physically passes all the minimum system requirements except for model year.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
Hi.

For starters, you don't need to upgrade to the latest OS to enjoy your machine for 2 more years. Users like me love to stay on these rocksolid 10.X.5 versions. You should do it, too.

Then, your machine's raw power is almost insignificant to determine if you can run (or not) the latest OS. It isn't about RAW power, it's about hardware features. You don't have Bluetooth Low Energy (can't use Airdrop, can't use any continuity features, etc) that was introduced on 2011 Sandy Bridge machines.

You don't have architecture specific features that allow you to use AirPlay, and so on. There are lots of valid reasons to stop supporting some specific machines.

Those new "slowish" retina Macbooks have very, very expensive core Ms that have some amazing, modern integrated features (Modern decoding tech, etc.).

Compare this to Old car Vs New car. A car from the nineties can be fast, but doesn't support all the security requirements, fuel economy rules, modern electronics and so on.

Apple will keep releasing security updates to El Capitan, so just enjoy your machine. There's no reason to not use your machine for years to come, specially with a SSD. Again, it has nothing to do with raw power.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but can someone explain Apples logic!
Simple - Apple is in the business of selling hardware. Its in their best interest to force people off the older systems with the newer operating systems.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
Simple - Apple is in the business of selling hardware. Its in their best interest to force people off the older systems with the newer operating systems.
Yes but that's an ignorant logic right there, as well.

As usual, there are valid reasons for this. Selling hardware is why they focus on features that rely on taking advantage of hardware specifications. Those features are great, and are dependent on hardware architecture, not speed.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes but that's an ignorant logic right there, as well.
That's been Apple M.O from almost the very beginning. They are always overly aggressive in dropping off supported machines. I'm not justifying it, but just pointing out that its Apple's way of doing business.

MacBAir

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2016
Portugal
That's been Apple M.O from almost the very beginning. They are always overly aggressive in dropping off supported machines. I'm not justifying it, but just pointing out that its Apple's way of doing business.
What? Weren't they not dropping machines with the latest 3 versions of the OS?

When they dropped the first batch after Lion, wasn't that because of the 64 bit requirement?
After that didn't they support the same machines with 10.8, 10.9 , 10.10, 10.11?

Why are you inventing this? Even if they stop making newer OSes compatible with some machines, who is forcing users to upgrade to newer machines?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.