Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tobiican

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2020
Hey guys I have a question today my friend gave me a Mac book air 2011 he doesn’t know what’s wrong with it and I want to try and fix it when I open the laptop up it displays a folder with a question mark I’ve tried command r and tried to install Mac OS X Lion but all it does is show me that it will take -2147483648 hours to download then an error pops up that says Can’t download the additional components needed to install Mac OS X please help me

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Connect the MacBook Air to another Mac using Thunderbolt. Then boot the MacBook Air in Target Disk Mode to examine the drive of the MacBook Air. Maybe use Disk Utility to check the drive. Maybe use Disk Utility to partition it.

Instead of Target Disk Mode, you can try:

Create a USB installer for High Sierra (the latest OS supported by the MacBook Air 2011) and boot with that. Then use Disk Utility from the installer to verify the hard drive of the MacBook Air. Create a new partition if you don't want to remove the old macOS. Then install High Sierra.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.