Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
Hello I have been playing starcraft 2 perfectly fine for years but all of a sudden whenever I log into the game all of my graphics settings are set to default so it is impossible for me to set it to the settings I want as some settings require a restart in order to take effect. This means whenever I try to restart the game to have these settings take effect (to lower some shaders etc) it doesn't work because it resets all my settings back to default every time I restart or login to the game.

Please help!

There's no variables.txt file being created in my starcraft 2 folder.

I use macOS Big Sur

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
I didn't play starcraft 2 (it should be happening) but thinking that this can indicate a problem with permissions.
Check your game folder-s to make sure that read/write is on all related folders

Of course, a complete reinstall is also an available option, but if that won't help then maybe it's because APFS filesystem or FileVault; had seen a lot of weird troubles related to him)

TBoneMac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
CA
No I already reinstalled it And I have Read and Write permissions.

I don’t use FileVault as far as I know.

I don’t see how it would be related to APFS as nothing has changed recently…

Please help it’s still happening I contacted blizzard and they said to make a whole new admin account on my macbook and that worked but the variables.txt file is STILL not appearing even though the settings are saving on the new admin account?? This doesn’t even make sense

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
If you haven't already, I would also ask this on Blizzard's own forums...

And the forums on Reddit.
Perhaps Sc2 related ones as well, like the StarCraft 2 Coop forum

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
There's no variables.txt file being created in my starcraft 2 folder.
That seems wrong. You are looking in ~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/Starcraft II/ and not in whatever folder you copied Starcraft II to, right?

someOne299102

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2022
Hey there, what actually helps is:
Changing permissions to "read write" for user and all below content of:
/Users/userName/Library/Application Support/Blizzard
after that finally all settings are stored again.

I was also missing the saved games, probably because they couldn't get synced and stored from the web as well.
Hell yeah, happy to play again on Mac OsX 13.1 - Ventura.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.