Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
I cant seem to find the answer to this question:

If I purchased an iPhone from Best Buy (so it is the universal iPhone model) on an AT&T Next payment plan (so it is not paid off in full), can I activate it with a Verizon SIM card (so it gets 'carrier locked' to Verizon, meaning unlocked since that is Verizon's policy), and then can I insert my AT&T SIM and use it as planned on AT&T's network, on the AT&T Next payment plan, without issue?

Why would I want to do this if I plan on using it on AT&T anyway? Because I travel internationally a ton and want it to be unlocked for international SIM cards. Why didn't I just buy it outright, because I tried by Best Buy canceled those orders. Why did I have to get it from Best Buy? Because I want the Qualcomm CDMA/GSM model, not the Intel GSM-only model.

Last question - can I activate using an ACTIVE Verizon SIM card from someone else with a Verizon account? Will the phone be tied to or active on that account?

Thanks!

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
No problem activating with Verizon SIM to get it unlocked and then using your AT&T SIM. Yes using an active Verizon is always the fastest, it does nothing to the Verizon SIM or the other person's iPhone.

Once unlocked, you are good to go internationally.

Dave

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
No problem activating with Verizon SIM to get it unlocked and then using your AT&T SIM. Yes using an active Verizon is always the fastest, it does nothing to the Verizon SIM or the other person's iPhone.

Once unlocked, you are good to go internationally.

Dave
Virtual hug to dave006. I wish it weren't so complicated all the time, but AT&T customers just get screwed if they don't know whats up. Not only do we get the GSM only (not to mention inferior Intel modem) phone by default, but its carrier locked and not subject to the Flex policy like Verizon phones. I just don't get this. I am paying the same money as a Verizon customer but not getting the same product with the same capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.